Unable to install OS. M/Board ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonkyboy

I am trying to re-install WIndows XP on a system I have here, and I am getting a strange error message.
Setup gets to Formatting the Hard Drive, seems to do it, and then displays the error message "Unable to verify your hard drive. You may have insufficient memory or corrupt files on your Windows XP CD."

I have tried another hard drive, but get exactly the same message. I have tried 3 different memory modules, different IDE leads and 3 different XP CD's.

Has anyone had the same problem ? I'm going to have to buy a new M/board as I don't have another one to try. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ty.

OK, it's not mine, but here goes....

Athlon XP 1800+
Jetway 830CH rev 3.0 m/board
128 Mb Samsung PC 133 ( Currently holding 256Mb Hyundai PC133 belonging to me for testing purposes )
Maxtor 40 Gb Hard Drive ( Currently spare 4Gb Maxtor for testing purposes)
Liteon CD Rom
Liteon CDRW
Maxpower PSU (300W)

Here's an anomaly... I've just tried using XP CD with SP1a, and Format using FAT 32 Quick, and it actually installs on the small HDD. But with SP2 CD's (all three of them) I get the error. Also the 40 Gig drive has just broken down !! Sounds like a BB dropping as it spins up and cant be seen by the system.

are your 3 XP Cd's genuine originals disc's or someone's slipstreamed copies? if they are slipstreamed copies then I would say someone botched the job.

That mobo is very basic, with a low-end SIS chipset. With 128MB it will hardly run Windows XP.
Try to reset the BIOS before you put your 256MB memory in, and check BIOS version.
BIOS version A10 from 01/09/03 is available here: http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/BIOS/830ch/830chA10.BIN

I thought SP2 is only one CD, or did you try different CDs?
That HD sounds a goner, but go get the Maxtor test-utility from the Read-post in the Storage forum.

Firstly, one is genuine, and two are copies which I have used about twenty times before. So there shouldn't be a prooblem with the integrity of the copies. (I only use these if someone has a genuine licence anyway).
The first thing I did was to flash the BIOS to A10.
I'm glad you agree that the mobo is basic, coz that's what I told the guy when he bought the system from from an independent shop about two years ago. He's had nothing but trouble with it since he bought it. He only uses it for his business, so I've suggested an upgrade to MSI KM4M with 256 of Crucial. I can't really see any alternative. Any other ideas guys?

If you also replace the CPU with a 2800 Barton, you'd have a real champ.

You should consider Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 rather than XP. Much better for business (litterally).

I would dump that Jetway heap. That manufacturer has just about the knowledge to make modems for underdeveloped countries.

Thanks. I think a ritual burning this afternoon will suffice for the Jetway mobo.

Unfortunately, I don't think the guy will pay for anymore than he really has to in order to get his machine running again.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back