Unable to Read USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 512MB PNY Attaché USB flash drive. Have been using it without any problems until recently. I am running WinXP Pro which recognizes the drive as H: but when I try to open the drive I get " Please insert a disk into drive H:".
Have I lost everything? Is the drive no longer functional? I am not sure how it got this way we had some power failures recently while it was plugged in and running. Obviously I can't insert a disk.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comtrade :confused:

Same with my Lexar jumpdrive...

Same thing happened with my Lexar jumpdrive. My computer says it's not formatted.

Just came back from plane trip. Could security equipment at airport wipe out jumpdrive? J2

Just an idea...but have you tried putting it into other usb slots in your computer? I remember when I had a Sandisk usb, It would not read @ the front of my bay, but only @ the back.

Coronas said:
Just an idea...but have you tried putting it into other usb slots in your computer? I remember when I had a Sandisk usb, It would not read @ the front of my bay, but only @ the back.

I have seen that same exact thing before myself. With the 256 Cruzer Mini on several POS Dell's at work.

johnny52 said:
Same thing happened with my Lexar jumpdrive. My computer says it's not formatted.

Just came back from plane trip. Could security equipment at airport wipe out jumpdrive? J2
x-rays do not affect thumb drives.

I have a 1GB SONY Micro Value USB flash drive. I used it for few days every thing was ok. My systems is a WinXP Home Edition which recognizes the drive as E: When I try to open the flash I get a message " Please insert a disk into drive E:".

Please how can I make this flash to work again so as to recover my data?

Please help
Isaac Aiko

Isaac...........Welcome to Techspot!!!

Have you read the link that Tedster posted above??

So you're saying it's a FAT32 problem since XP is using NTFS it might not open the these USB drives after sometime of use. Still if you can't solve the problem a lot of these USB drives comes with 3 years free replacements or just buy a newer one. I know I almost drop the bomb when my PNY fell into well lets say bowl of water sounds better :). It just floated so I was sure luckly my data it go down the drain..

Isaac Aiko said:
I have a 1GB SONY Micro Value USB flash drive. I used it for few days every thing was ok. My systems is a WinXP Home Edition which recognizes the drive as E: When I try to open the flash I get a message " Please insert a disk into drive E:".

Please how can I make this flash to work again so as to recover my data?

Please help
Isaac Aiko
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic45834.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, i have a 128mb memory stick(manutan international-printed on stick) and it has worked fine untill a few weeks ago. my friend thinks he may have done something to it.
Anyway, it reads it in my computer, but when i try to open it, it says
Please insert a disk into drive e.
it always says this. when i right click on it and select format, nothing happens. but, i have opened my computer management from my computer and now i dont have a clue what to do.
Please can someone explain what i need to do, or any other ways of getting it sorted.I do need this memory stick.

Thanks

My computer crashed and burned the day after I

posted my question, so I had nothing but an old cd backup.

Still don't know what caused my stick information to crumble.

Was able to reformat my lexar but now back up everything TWICE.

They say 3.5" floppies aren't reliable but I never had trouble with any of them all the years I used them. J

doopt94 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, i have a 128mb memory stick(manutan international-printed on stick) and it has worked fine untill a few weeks ago. my friend thinks he may have done something to it.
Anyway, it reads it in my computer, but when i try to open it, it says
Please insert a disk into drive e.
it always says this. when i right click on it and select format, nothing happens. but, i have opened my computer management from my computer and now i dont have a clue what to do.
Please can someone explain what i need to do, or any other ways of getting it sorted.I do need this memory stick.

Thanks
again I state:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic45834.html

Tedster said:

I read it.I wanted to know about the part where the usb flash drive is not detected in any way by the computer.Your wrote :
"if the drive doesn't appear there may still be hope (details later)."
This is my case! Can you suggest any kind of material like that where
those details are explained.I would be grateful if you could help me on this.
Lots of respect.

izabela said:
I read it.I wanted to know about the part where the usb flash drive is not detected in any way by the computer.Your wrote :
"if the drive doesn't appear there may still be hope (details later)."
This is my case! Can you suggest any kind of material like that where
those details are explained.I would be grateful if you could help me on this.
Lots of respect.

izabela, this is exactly the same problem as i have. Tedster gave great instructions but like you i have run out of ideas as to what to do next.

izabela and legs, this is exactly the same problem also i have. Tedster gave great instructions but like you two i have run out of ideas as to what to do next.

try assigning a letter to the flash drive in disc management.

You may be able to recover use of the drive in another system.
If not, consider the drive dead.

please insert disk into drive e: usb problem

Try this. I had a problem with a 2Gig Kingston DataTraveler USB stick which worked perfectly in my laptop (running Windows XP) until I plugged in a friends Corsair USB stick to copy some data. After which I got a message 'Please insert disk into drive e:' whenever I treid to access the encrypted partition of the Kingston stick. It still worked fine on my other laptop and other desktop PC's so I knew it was down to the software of the laptop. To remedy I did the following and it worked.

With the PenDrive in the USB port
1. Go into device mananger (right click on Computer, hit properties, then hit device manager).
2. Navigate to Universal Serial Bus controllers at the bottom and uninstall "USB Mass Storage Device" ( Once you reconnect a USB drive after rebooting, windows should reinstall these drivers)
3. Reboot your computer

Hey presto No more 'please insert disk into drive e:' message.
Hope this helps others with a similar problem.

USB Flash Drive Unrecognizable in all Computers

I purchased a USB Flash Drive the 2GB Forum Eddie Wall Model (part# FORUM-EW/2GB). I purchased it in April ‘07 and I am already having issues with it, I can no longer retrieve anything from the drive, because no system recognizes the flash drive when plugged into to USB port. I know it’s not my laptop since I can use other devices such as cameras, mouse, and other flash drives.
I used it since I purchased it and last week at work on June 22 was the last time remember using the flash drive. I notice the LED on the flash drive does not turn on, as before once the drive was plugged into the USB port. No computer will recognize the flash drive, uugggh.

I have saved work on the drive for school and my job. Does anyone know what can be done to get the flash drive to initialize when it’s plugged into the system? It doesn’t work on any system I have plugged it into, 10 different systems in fact including our servers.

I think Tedster you mentioned, "if the drive doesn't appear there may still be hope (details later)." In your post ( https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic45834.html )
are there details for this situation? Please say yes or am I SOL.

thanks guys!

I'm not having luck with usb flash drives. Now I have 2 'dead' usb in one year.I was really careful when inserting or removing them but in my case this was not enough.I thank you all for your advices but none of my usb's began to work.One of them still unaccessible 'Insert unit into drive F' and the other still undetectable but the LED IS ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back