Unable to send mail using Outlook express

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am able to receive mail and read mails using outlook express but not able to send them. it shows any one of the following errors.

examples:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 68.142.203.143 (68.142.203.143:25), connect error 10061', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'u0503667@nus.edu.sg'. Subject 'print this *****', Account: 'pop.nus.edu.sg', Server: 'smtp.nus.edu.sg', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for u0503667@nus.edu.sg', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

And for the IMAP server that i use it shows the following error when i try to send it.

The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: 'stuimaphost.comp.nus.edu.sg', Server: 'mailauth.comp.nus.edu.sg', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 HELP', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

First: SMTP connection to the server failed. Something is blocking SMTP traffic - could be your ISP.

Second: The server supports SMTP, but doesn't like you, or the recipient address.

Third: You have configured Outlook to use SSL, but the port specified is 25 - plain SMTP.

Where did you get these configurations? Why do you think any of these would work? Did they work before?

I thought that these configurations worked bcoz i was able to view and read mail. I got them by searching from google. i got the incoming and outgoing servers verified for the accounts that gave these errors. If the problem is with ports can u tell me the correct port numbers for yahoo and gmail. Why would a server block my recipient address. I was sending the mail to myself just for checking. And i couldnt the meaning for the last error tht you gave. Thanks for the clarification anyways.

OE is not intended for SENDING email using any other than YOUR OWN ISP's SMTP!
GMail you can only SEND from within GMail. Don't know about Yahoo, probably the same.

D/L messages is no problem. I have 6 accounts in my Thunderbird (you should change to that as well, much saver than that crap OE) from different sources, but I SEND all my email, using the same SMTP (from my ISP) on port 25.

RealBlackStuff said:
OE is not intended for SENDING email using any other than YOUR OWN ISP's SMTP!
I dont really think that is true RBS. I see this problem every day working for an ISP and help people use OE with it all the time. You can set it up to go through any out going server you like. It is Netscape and I believe Thunderbird that are a little bit more limited. Where they require you to send all of your out going mail traffice through one server. Were with OE you can had a different one for each different email address.

Jason, Sounds like what is going on is you are on a DSL line that doesn't support relaying. I see the problem from time to time at me job when people are hosting a website with my comptuer and had DSL through the local phone company. The phone company blocks access on port 25 except if you are using their smtp server. So this is most likely what you need to do

1. For the 'u0503667@nus.edu.sg' account instead of using the 'smtp.nus.edu.sg' for you smtp server change it to that of your ISP's
2. Set OE for Authentication you do this with the check Mark towards the bottom of the servers tab in your email account properties.
3. Click on the settings button you will need to set your account to log on using and the enter in the username and password for the Email account provided to you by your ISP.

Assuming that you ISP is runing like most of the ones around where I am at that should fix your problem.

GMail WILL send messages from OE using pop3/smtp (I've been doing it myself from time to time) Hotmail and Yahoo are webmail only though I believe unless you pay for the service.

In gmail, there's a small file to download somewhere to set up OE to recieve and sent mail, and there's also an option to allow pop3/smtp access in your account somewhere.

I highly recommend following RBS's advice and using Thunderbird never the less.

Spike said:
GMail WILL send messages from OE using pop3/smtp (I've been doing it myself from time to time) Hotmail and Yahoo are webmail only though I believe unless you pay for the service.

In gmail, there's a small file to download somewhere to set up OE to recieve and sent mail, and there's also an option to allow pop3/smtp access in your account somewhere.

I highly recommend following RBS's advice and using Thunderbird never the less.
Actually not true Spike. The only think you have to download to set up gmail on your OE is if you want the software to set it up yourself.

Gmail set up instructions.

If you look there at the top there is a link to maunel setup instuctions.

Cant's send E-mails

Make sure you have a check next to the following.

My Outgoing Server Requires Authorization

99.9% of SMTP servers do not require authorisation. And this thread is ancient.. Why are you replying to this now?

email experience when travelling

if you take a laptop to various locations so that you're on a different network
provider than normal (sbcglobal, comcast, earthlink) and attempt to access your home network
provider (any not the same as what you're currently connected to),
you will frequently find that access to your inbox is trivial, but
a) port 25 is blocked and and you will not be able to reply or send no matter
what or how you configure your smtp interface.
or
b) a local hotspot has an open relay and everything goes as you expect.
This is a primative attempt to stop spamming.

The effective means to email from a foreign location is to use the webmail service
from your ISP until you return home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back