Unable to upgrade BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jledoux

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to update BIOS so that I can upgrade my processor from a 1.5 MHz to a 2.4 MHz pentium 4 (currently I have a Pentium 4, 1.5 MHZ, 400 MHz bus, 512 MB ram, windows XP home).

To update BIOS (the Motherboard is an Intel D845HV with 845 chipset), I downloaded Intel's flash memory update utility, created an upgrade boot disk, and rebooted the computer. But I get the following error messages:

H48: update BIOS does not match currently installed BIOS type
H01: The flash dataimage read from disk was found to be not valid
S20: BIOS ID validation failure - flash update was unsuccessful

However, I'm positive I have the correct upgrade - the motherboard is D845HV as identified by a software ID program, and I saw the label on the motherboard. I've checked and rechecked the intel website to make sure that I downloaded the correct upgrade.

I've tried the following things in addition: I removed the CMOS battery for 20 min, reinserted it, and then tried to reboot with the upgrade disk. I also changed the jumper setting for BIOS repair - but when I did that, the floppy didn't work, so I guess the upgrade disk is not the same as a recovery disk?

I have also tried the express BIOS upgrade program and that doesn't work either.

Anyway, nothing I've tried has worked.

I posted about this awhile ago and someone suggested that I 'force' the upgrade - does anyone know how to do that? If you do, please give reasonably detailed instructions - I've never done this kind of thing before! Thanks!

trying to force a bios upgrade could end you up with a trashed Bios and a system that wont boot.

it is possible that the file you downloaded is corrupted and you could try downloading it again.

I've downloaded it a few times, and I've tried the DOS based and windows based methods to upgrade the bios, to no avail. Am I out of luck? Should I attempt to contact intel, or is that a lost cause?

is this system a sellf built one or a rretail unit lik dell or compaq ,etc? if it is a brand name computer then you will have to go to the makers site to download the bios update.

It's a Gateway. I went to the intel site for the BIOS upgrade - I take it I have to go to Gateway's site instead? I'll see what I can find.

outfits like Dell and gateway use special Bios. they restrict many of the features of the standard bios to prevent customers from messing with them and thereby incurring support calls.

You were right on the money. I contacted Gateway, and their Bios Upgrade worked like a charm. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back