Unbootable PC

Steven Bene

So, an old laptop I have wont boot. I rebuilt it and it still does the same thing. Turns on for a second, lights up, crashes. What can I do? I tried different hard drives, ram, batteries, and power supplies. I have another one I can get parts from. It is 32 bit Windows 7.

Remove battery and power adapter. Press on switch and keep depressed for 30 seconds. Then connect power adapter and try to turn on. Press key to enter BIOS. Enter BIOS. Does computer keep running with BIOS on screen or not?

Remove battery and power adapter. Press on switch and keep depressed for 30 seconds. Then connect power adapter and try to turn on. Press key to enter BIOS. Enter BIOS. Does computer keep running with BIOS on screen or not?
It never even gets to the BIOS screen. Probably should have mentioned that before. Thanks anyways though. A friend of mine (very smart) said it could be the CPU. I found a CPU on eBay that matches mine. It is very cheap. Is it even worth it? It is just a project I've been working on. Would the CPU even fix it. I recently got an alienware laptop, and I fixed the other old laptop, but this is a project just to fix it. I don't really need it, but I would use it if it worked.

I get that way too which is why I have 5 working computers.

No BIOS makes me think motherboard, but CPU is possible too. While a really cheap CPU might resolve it, it might just lead to a motherboard...so you have to go back to square one and think through how much its worth when its fixed.

Back