'Uncharted 4' multiplayer maps and modes will be free, all other paid content can be earned in-game

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is set to drop on May 10 exclusively for the PlayStation 4. Like most modern games, it’ll be supported by DLC post-release although in a rather rare twist, developer Naughty Dog revealed on Monday that all future DLC maps and modes will be free of charge.

In a post on the PlayStation blog, lead game designer Robert Cogburn said the approach represents an entirely new direction for the studio.

The main reason Naughty Dog wanted to release all of the maps and modes for free was to preserve the multiplayer community. Not all players purchase map packs which leads to fragmentation of the install base. As more paid map packs are released, the fragmentation only widens. By giving all of the new maps and modes away for free, Naughty Dog is ensuring this won’t become a reality. The hope is that the community will stick with the game for the long haul.

Naughty Dog isn’t doing away with paid content entirely. There will be microtransactions although all vanity and gameplay store items can also be unlocked through gameplay.

Offering multiplayer maps and modes for free isn’t an entirely new idea but it’s still pretty rare. Gears of War 4, which lands on the Xbox One in October, will offer multiplayer maps for free albeit on a unique rotating basis. As GameStop notes, the only way to guarantee you can play a specific map whenever you want is to buy it.

Permalink to story.

Absolutely speechless, brings a tear to my eye even. Naughty Dog has got to be one of my all time favorite developers, it's just too bad I can't enjoy their games anymore because of the Sony ownership, I just can't justify buying a PS4. I can however fire up my PS3 and play some Uncharted, or my PS2 and play some Jak and Daxter, even my Playstation, well that I can emulate much easier now, heck the Crash Bandicoot series are the only real games I play on my phone. I certainly hope they stick to this formula in the coming years.

Love uncharted. But running around killing everyone in a death match in this type of game just send stupid.

Co-op mode story lines can make sense. But then you should have a reason there are extra people. Towns folk helping drake get through a some enemy infested areas. Drake's mum and other family flying over to fix his tea but the town's on enemy lockdown.

Or 4 v 4 where you hinder someone's attempt to finish a MP story zone. I dunno. Just cod and bf death match games there are plenty of and they ain't much fun. Leave them with that garbage.

DLC is free yet they are adding Microtransactions. Don't know why people are praising them, that seems to cancel out. This is a $60, they shouldn't need microtransactions.

Back