Underperforming CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

Just ran SiSoft Sandra cpu benchmark and I'm slightly annoyed about the results.

I'm getting the result equal to a 1700+. I wonder why its not reaching the 1800+ like it should be on thereabouts, not blatently the same as a 1700+ result.

See JPG attached.

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 35
This could be due to a plethora of problems.

These kinds of test results - benchmarks - are all purely subjective. No two machines with the same exact components are going to perform the same. It all depends on what programs you're running at the time, free RAM space, gah :dead: the list goes on.
Don't worry about it Snowy. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't even matter!

it annoys me u see because i bought 2 x identical 1800+ cpu, 1 for a friend and i can't help but think i should have picked his one as he's getting the right result for it i.e. marginally around the 1800+ reference result. :(

I can understand how you feel ;)

It's just like racing two identical cars and having one with a top speed of 254 mph and the other 260 mph. And later they found out it was because the driver of the second car weighed more than the first one...:dead:

If you would have picked his one the results would probably be the same. The difference is probably the system board, or the RAM, or even the cabling!

Its ridiculus because my friend has an older chipset motherboard, a VIA/AMD760 hybrid chipset i think and his 1800+ gives him a better overall system than mine using the same RAM and Video card. :blackeye:

Thats just a load of rubbish when it should be equal or I should get slightly more due to the newer more mature chipset motherboard. :blush:

I could have sworn I saw the result correct at a one off time a few days ago but I can't remember why that was or what options were set. For the CPU, the Abit bios has a very simplied set of options, nothing to really change, so I'm not sure now unless I have to overclock the FSB to get the right default CPU speed. :confused:

I also don't like the idea that i've got a CPU running a lower speed that i didn't pay for. If i wanted a 1700+, I would have paid less thank you very much. :mad:

Snowy,

2 suggestions: run the same benchmark on another program like Fresh Diagnose & see if the results are similar & adjust your CAS Latency (if you can) 'til the #'s improve. :grinthumb

It *appears*, to me, your CPU isn't 'cache' optimized as well as your friends. ;)

Vehementi makes some valid points & if I may add: stability is far better than speed, IMO. Shoot for consistency in your #'s & let the 'speed' fall where it may. CPUCool ( www.guru3d.com ) allows CAS Latency adjustments if your BIOS doesn't. It's under "Functions" > "CPU Optimizations" & I'm not sure if it is available for AMD, but it is for Intel CPU's. :cool:

HTH,

Could it be that your friend uses a memory management program in his pc or his pc has more free hard disk space than your's?

Originally posted by JAV
2 suggestions: run the same benchmark on another program like Fresh Diagnose & see if the results are similar & adjust your CAS Latency (if you can) 'til the #'s improve. :grinthumb

I tried this and asked my friend to as well and I got the following results in Fresh Diagnose:

WhetStone FPU = 3141 MWIPS
DhryStone ALU = 4430 MDIPS
Speed = 1536 MHz

My friend had near identical results. So that means both CPU scored the same as expected.

Go to www.h-oda.com & download WCPUid.

Check out the exact FSB speed. Sometimes it's a bit lower then 133, it could be something like 132.5 or less & it affects performance more then it could seem.

ASUS for example have always been known to OC a bit by default, on their mainboards a 133 FSB is actually running at 134 / 135.

Originally posted by Didou
Check out the exact FSB speed. Sometimes it's a bit lower then 133, it could be something like 132.5 or less & it affects performance more then it could seem.

Using WCPUID, my CPUFSB is reported as:

133.39 MHz (266.78 MHz DDR)

This is the CPUFSB I get when using the auto CPU options in the bios, the "1800+" speed setting.

I do notice however, when I manually set the CPU to 133Mhz FSB, it always actually overclocks by 1 Mhz to 134 Mhz.

If it's possible, you could test your CPU in your friend's motherboard and/or vice versa.
It could be the motherboard, however. Check for better BIOS and chipset drivers.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
If it's possible, you could test your CPU in your friend's motherboard and/or vice versa.
It could be the motherboard, however. Check for better BIOS and chipset drivers.

I considered that but it would be too much hassle after i've already professionally installed the cpu with hs & thermal paste etc. as part of a complete new system build.

I would ideally have to remove the motherboard to easily get at the cpu etc. to remove them which would be a pain, as everything is setup nicely in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back