Underperforming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so basically I think my pc is underperforming quite a bit and wondered if anyone had any ideas of what the problem might be. I'm having really choppy performance on all the games I play (especially Guild Wars (but for some strange reason not on Pariah)) on medium - high settings and I get a very low score on 3dMark2001, around 8500 infact and I understand that I should be getting around 12000 for my system.
Here are my pc specs (I will try to give you as much info as possible):

Windows XP SP2
1.8Ghz P4 slot 478 256k cache
1gb pc 3200 DDR RAM (I think it is running at 333mhz because of the processor)
128mb Geforce 6600GT
120gb SATA DiamondMax hard drive 7200rpm 8mb buffer
Asrock P4V88 Motherboard
450 Watt Power Supply
:confused:

I think the 1.8ghz cpu could be your bottleneck. I have a p4 1.8ghz socket 478 fsb 400 cpu. The 400 fsb makes the mem. run at ddr 266 instead of ddr400, but I have it oc'ed to 2.5ish ghz, which also overclocks the ram(ddr350), which helps remove some of the bottleneck. So, you probably need a faster cpu, either by buying a faster one and installing, or oc'ing(if you want to/are able to with your mobo).

Newer games are very dependant on the CPU and thats your problem. Your mother board will support newer processors like the 3.0 P4 with 800mhz bus.

Ok thanks for the advice and I think i'll get either a 2.8Ghz or 3.0Ghz P4. Which one out of the two do you think would be a better choice for my machine, considering i'm on a pretty tight budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back