Understanding SLI

By puffader
Jul 10, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay if I connect 2 7300 gt, do they create a 14,600 gt? I dont understand this SLI thing......
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

With SLI, it is possible to theoretically double the power of your graphics power just by adding a second video card with an identical GPU.
  3. puffader

puffader Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 75

So

What ur saying is yes?
  4. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

No not quite. You get two video cards rather than one and the performance is better. But it does not become a GeForce XXXX if you do so. For more information go to www.nvidia.com.
  5. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas Newcomer, in training Posts: 718

Nvidia says that by using a second card (SLI config.) up to 80% performance gain is possible. The "SLI Thing" is using two graphics processors together. I have read that 3 cards together is being considered for very graphics intensive physics etc.
  6. puffader

cool...

That could be cool, im always pushing for some serious graphics......
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

SLI is generally not worth it unless you're really into peering inside your case just to get a kick out of seeing two video cards sitting there. ;)
    It normally needs a lot of power and cooling to work right, in which case you might end up spending, say more than what you would pay for a 8800 Ultra by getting two 8800GTSs, a new PSU and new cooling to go with it all. Also, SLI only proves its worth in situations where extremely high resolutions come into play, such as 2560 x 1600. Even those resolutions would require a monitor capable enough of supporting them, so you've already spent an insane amount of money on a monitor, two cards, a new PSU and cooling even before having played or bought a single game! Of course, if you have the cash, the above factors may be disregarded. ;)
    Oh, and as for multi-GPU technology, check this out.
  8. puffader

By the way can someone still tell me if 2 7300 gt in sli mode be as fast or good as a 7800 gs agp, that by the way I have no Mobo for dammit!
  9. kpo6969

kpo6969 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 875

One higher card is almost always better than two lesser cards.
    The three card configuration is an ATI thing I believe. They should worry about getting the single or cross-fire set-ups right first.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.