TechSpot

Undetected Cd-Rom drives after soundcard install, worked perfectly before

By gamingguy27
Mar 7, 2005
  1. I bought and installed a new soundcard only to find after booting up that my Cd-Rom drives are undetected but still load discs!!??!!??!! I have a 300w psu and i am worried it has had its day.......

Thanks,

P.S= If i were to buy a new psu, what are the best makes?

2. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 79

Could be power. I used to have a Sony cd burner and it didn't burn, but read discs. I put it in another pc and it burned fine. LG drives seem to use less power to me.

300w is ok for cpu, ram, mobo, 2 fans, 1 optical driver, 1 floppy, and a few usb devices. Depending on the brand, Sparkle lists the lowest continuous wattages. Their 300w can output up to 350+ watts. Some no-names list the highest continuous wattages, when in actuality, they're outputing 50 watts less.

Good PSU brands are Antec, Enermax (my 300w has been running for 2+ years), Fortron, Sparkle, TT and PP. You can see them on newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com, etc.

Either power or the new soundcard is conflicting with some sys. resources.

3. gamingguy27

gamingguy27 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 168

Thanks

I have seen a nice Q-Tec power supply, (550w) is this a good brand?
    Thanks for the help.

How would i stop the soundcard conflicting?

Thanks for the help...

4. fishhookz

fishhookz TS Rookie Posts: 79

Never heard of Q-Tec. Can't comment.

IF it's soundcard conflicting, you can see it in Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > open the soundcard properties.

5. gamingguy27

gamingguy27 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 168

Conflicts

There were no conflicts in any of the devices, so i am guessing its my 300w psu? Thanks for the help....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.