Unfortunately the OnePlus 2 will be sold through an invite system

Scorpus

Staff member

If you were hoping that you'd easily be able to order a OnePlus 2 through a retail outlet or online store, prepare to be disappointed. OnePlus has inexplicably decided to sell their upcoming smartphone through an invite system, making it harder for prospective customers to buy the phone.

The invite system that frustrated so many OnePlus One buyers will be tweaked for the launch of the OnePlus 2. According to OnePlus, they will have 30 to 50 times more units available at launch, which means more invites will be dished out from the start. Sharable invites that you can give to friends will also arrive much earlier than last time.

For prospective buyers who "don’t have time to hang out on forums or social media", rather than making the phone available to purchase through a regular store, OnePlus has opted for a reservation list. This means you enter your email into a form and pray you'll be sent an invite, with OnePlus prioritizing early forum supporters.

What we currently know about the OnePlus 2 suggests the handset will be pretty decent. The device will come with a Snapdragon 810 SoC with 4 GB of RAM, a 3,300 mAh battery, a fingerprint sensor, USB Type-C, a 13-megapixel camera with laser autofocus and an f/2.0 lens, and a price tag under $450.

It's just unfortunate that customers wanting to buy the OnePlus 2 have to hunt down an invite before they can hand over their hard-earned cash. The device will be officially unveiled on July 27th and is expected to go on sale shortly afterwards.

Permalink to story.

It's a clever tactic, it creates demand for their product but personally I'm not particularly interested in it. Apart from a slightly better price it's highly likely going to be exactly the same as any other competing product.

It's a clever tactic, it creates demand for their product but personally I'm not particularly interested in it. Apart from a slightly better price it's highly likely going to be exactly the same as any other competing product.

It was clever the first time around, but the second time around it's rather dumb.

Simple economic is that if you have the supply then let it out in the world for the demand to buy it up... Especially since the price point this time around is $150 more which puts it into a price range that is getting saturated with options. Unless they are not confident about their products...

I'm sorry, but no. Electronics manufacturers lost touch with reality. My two year old Samsung is fine, I'm not interested in jacking up new benchmark records by few % on a piece of equipment used primarily for comunication, at the expense of battery life. US dollar is strongest in some 15 years at my place, which they will all soon feel on their skin when market plummet even more. And if I remeber correctly, previous One's main advantage that made them popular was some $100 lower pricetag. Basically, I would have to pay twice over One+ 1 for a gadget that will throttle faster than my i9506. And due to the strong dollar and majority of IT manufacturers hitting their respective walls of physics, the same could be said about CPUs, GPUs, HDDs, with SSDs being the only exception I could see recently.

"For prospective buyers who 'don’t have time to hang out on forums or social media'"

I didn't hang around the forums or social media. I didn't do squat and got my invite a month after it started. The invite system generated a lot of interest but the cherry on top was when you got your invite you had 24hrs to use it before expiry. All the "prospective buyers" who hum and haw were instantly turned into to "actual buyers".

They are still a start up and relatively niche. Dispense with the butt-hurt.

They sell as they produce, which saves big time in storage cost. But much higher price might be related to that 30-50 time more initial amount produced which is counter productive as it hurts their price advantage. Their tactic also saves on marketing as customers do the most of that through word of mouth and keeps people coming back. It is a profitable tactic, why would they change it?

They sell as they produce, which saves big time in storage cost. But much higher price might be related to that 30-50 time more initial amount produced which is counter productive as it hurts their price advantage. Their tactic also saves on marketing as customers do the most of that through word of mouth and keeps people coming back. It is a profitable tactic, why would they change it?
practical,, you call waiting months on end playing a game practical for who !! people want and need stuff NOW not 12 months...don't be stupid dude...I know you must be an employee plant comment anyway..
apples pretty profitable,,,they don't play games..

I'm fed with it, I try to buy it from Mexico ONCE... and that was it. I don't like them playing again diva-style; I'm going for the Zenfone 2 at the end of the year with all of its perks and cons, thank you very much.

It will cost them many sales. They lost three sales in my family alone because of the stupid invite system. It's beyond mind boggling that they would do it again, especially after the said they learned their lesson. And $450 makes the phone the same price as many current flagships. My wife an I ended up buying an LG G3 and Note 3 brand new for around the same price as the Oneplus and we are both glad we did. Great phones.. no waiting.

I'm sorry, but no. Electronics manufacturers lost touch with reality. My two year old Samsung is fine, I'm not interested in jacking up new benchmark records by few % on a piece of equipment used primarily for comunication, at the expense of battery life. US dollar is strongest in some 15 years at my place, which they will all soon feel on their skin when market plummet even more. And if I remeber correctly, previous One's main advantage that made them popular was some $100 lower pricetag. Basically, I would have to pay twice over One+ 1 for a gadget that will throttle faster than my i9506. And due to the strong dollar and majority of IT manufacturers hitting their respective walls of physics, the same could be said about CPUs, GPUs, HDDs, with SSDs being the only exception I could see recently.

Nice to see someone who thinks with their brain.
I was in the need last spring for a replacement for the Note1, so I tried to get the OnePlus, and started to give up. On the ONEPLUS web forum, some were talking about the Huawei Ascend Mate2. Looked up the specs, said there is no way this thing is worth a darn. 720p screen, snapdragon 400, no removable battery, JB4.3, didn't give a passing glance. Note keep wigging out, so I got one off Amazon because it would be easy to return if I didn't like it. And wouldn't you know it, about 3 days after it arrived, the invite for the Oneplus showed up. Ordered it, because I knew with the demand, it would be easy to unload. I LOVED the Mate2, bigger screen, HUGE battery life. Darn thing blew me away! The fastest processor, tightest density screen, newest OS, benchmark results don't mean squat. I unloaded the OnePlus quickly, without any loss of money. People don't realize that the fastest anything means nothing because the software meant to run on the device, will work with OLDER hardware (for the most part, there are a few apps that require 4.4 or higher). The apps, don't take advantage of all that hardware. All they "really" do is drain your wallet & battery.

Well, people who really need a new phone might not want to wait for an invite. I know I didn't since my galaxy nexus had burn in issues, blue hue screen due to oled, decreased battery life and it was a little sluggish when using pandora and some light browsing.

Went for a G3 that I know won't burn in and expect to have it for at least 2 years.

Back