Uninstalling firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrunks

I'm having problems uninstalling firefox. I've uninstalled it, run CC cleaner to make sure there's no trace of it but when I re-install it, all the settings I previoulsy had are all back again. Something in my previous settings has crashed it, but I don't know what (it cannot connect although all other browsers can).

I've run it in safe mode both by ticking all 'reset' option and in safe mode itself but it still cannot connect, hence I tried to uninstall.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Thx in advance

Did you know that Firefox has it's own uninstaller? Open the program and you will find it.

But I have a question- are you removing Firefox because you can't connect to the internet or some other problem? Would you like to try and find the problem and keep Firefox?

You must go into C:/ program files/ Mozilla Firefox and remove the folder entirely.
Only after you have uninstalled Firefox with own installer.

Your profile information including bookmarks are located in a different folder from Mozilla Firefox in Program Files. When you uninstall Firefox, your profile information remains. You'll have to manually delete it.

If you have Windows XP, look under C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random characters.default]

That is the full path, but you should delete from "Mozilla" on down. If you plan to reinstall Firefox, you can save your bookmarks. The file is named "bookmarks.html"

Something in my previous settings has crashed it, but I don't know what

Repeating- do you want to try and find the cause so you can continuing using Firefox?

i'd like to find the program, but i thought it would be quiker just to do a reinstall as I already have a backup.
BTW, i think installing a TOR addon caused the problem

The easiest thing to do would have been to uninstall the add-on. ?If that solved the problem, then you could continue with Firefox. I think the Final Firefox v3 will have the TOR feature built in.

Problem is with all the uninstalling/cleaning you've been doing, you may have damaged the browser by removing some needed files> Consider reinstalling v2.0.0.14 and see if it will overwrite the existing browser.

I did uninstall the add-on, but the problem was not solved. I've done numerous re-installs to no avail.

Still don't know if you want to use Firefox. If you do, try installing the latest version over whatever is on the system- see if it overwrites.

We can troubleshoot the problem by finding the corresponding Error in the Event Viewer. The information from that often helps find the cause and the fix:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

You do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the same time Firefox has the problem. You haven't said what the problems were, but if it crashes, that's the time you'll be looking for. Please ignore Warnings.

You will probably have multiple Errors. IF the ID# is the same, if the Source is the same and the Description is the same, I only need one copy.

Edit to reformat

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 14/04/2008
Time: 15:40:35
User: LCCAD\aesat
Computer: LCC53591
Description:
The server {40A4B826-09EE-1100-B465-00AA006988E8} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7011
Date: 03/04/2008
Time: 10:06:02
User: N/A
Computer: LCC53591
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the McShield service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

What is DCOM?
Description DCOM stands for "Distributed COM" (COM = Component Object Model). As its names implies is a COM that works in distributed environments. That is, different parts of an application may reside on different computers, and all the parts working together - DCOM provides the infrastructure to develop and manage such applications.

Event ID: 10010, Event Source: DCOM, Desc.: The server {40A4B826-09EE-1100-B465-00AA006988E8} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Cannot Create New Instance of COM+ Object After You Repeatedly Restart the COM+ Object: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312074

Did you upgrade that machine from Win2K to Win XP by any chance? I can't ID the GUID {40A4B826-09EE-1100-B465-00AA006988E8}

Event ID# 7011, Source: Service Control Manager, Desc. Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the McShield Service: - Read McAfee Solution ID kb44876. Go to the McAfee Knowledge Search page and search for this solution to read it.

dtrunks, I can't help you troubleshoot everything on your machine. The idea here was to find the problem with Firefox. But giving all these errors don't indicate to me that they corresponded to the Firefox problem.

Is it possible to block the use of firefox by the admin? Ican access internal sites (the intranet) but not external sites. Using other browsers (IE/Opera) I can access the external.

Are you asking if someone or something could block the Administrator from using Firefox? I don't think so because the Administrator would have to be the one to set it up-IF it could be blocked.

I am still not clear just what the problem is. Which browser do you have set as the default? Which version of Firefox do you or did you have? (latest is v2.0.0.14)

Have you checked the Firefox connection settings?
Tools> Options> Advanced section> Network tab> 'Configure how Firefox connects to the internet'> click on Settings>>> I have checked 'Direct connection to the internet.'

I don't know if this is appropriate for you but you should look in this section.

The problem is pretty straight-forward. I cannot connect to the internet using FF, but can with other browsers. I uninstalled FF (including manually deleting the settings folder) so that when I re-installed the latest version of FF, everything was back to defaults (including the network settings). It still cannot connect to the internet. I have no idea why. It worked fine up until I installed an add-on the had a TOR button (called Torbutton 1.0.4.01). After installing this the problems started, so I uninstalled it, but FF still did not work. So I uninstalled FF & reinstalled, but the problem has still not been solved.
I guess I must be overlooking something.....

It's got to be from TOR. Have you done a disc cleanup, deleted ALL your temporary internet files, temp files, Cookies and History? You have to do that to clear it out. It would be good if you ran the Error Check and checked both boxes to fix and scan. Follow that with a defrag because with all the the installs/uninstalls, you're going to have a lot of fragments.

From what I've read, TOR allows stealth browsing and it has blocking features of it own. Are you attempting to access a specific homepage with Firefox? Have you tried changing that- something like yahoo.com that you know is an open page.

I found the site below with some directions and screen shots. Go through each step and make sure you have undone anything it set:
http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/projects/guide/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back