Uninstalling Graphic Card Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magik Med

Ok so I bought a new graphics card and in the instructions it says I have to uninstall my old graphic card driver first. I have been told several times to go to control panel > Add/Remove Programs, and then uninstall my driver. I do this and I see absolutely NOTHING driver-related in this list. Do I have to go to windows componants or should it be in the programs list? If someone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it.

What kind of card is this? ATI or Nvidia? if the dirver doesnt show in add\remove you can uninstall the driver in device manager. or for a more through removal you can use Driver cleaner Pro, a freeware driver cleaner that works for both ATI and Nvidia cards.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Its nothing fancy really I just bought it so I could play Strongold 2, Its a Nvidia G-eforce MX 4000 - 128mb DDR. Im downloading the program Fatsco reccommended currently, I hope it works!

Ok, I downloaded the program now I need to pick a section to clean. If I pick s3 Savage is that my old graphic cards driver? Also do you think it has more than one?

Ok, I couldnt figure out how to use the Driver Cleaner so I did it manually through device manager. I power down unplug all cords and put in my new Graphics Card and turn it back on and nothing happens. My monitor wont come on, do you think I should Install the new driver and then put the graphics card in?

Ok I've tried like...everything. I went to device manager like I said uninstalled the driver, unplugged all cords put in the new card and I plug the monitor into the card and it doesnt work. And when I try to install the new drivers I get a NVIDIA Setup Error that says this "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could really help me to get this working.

Was your old Graphics a stand alone card or onboard graphics? if it was onboard you need to disable the onboard video in the bios.

might be a good idea to tell us your hardware spec's. IE motherboard, Ram etc.

If by onboard you mean it came with my motehrboard then yes, its that. I have a MSI P4MAM2-V motherboard, and two Kingston 512MB RAM sticks. Can you explain to me how I disable the video in BIOS?

Lol I found the problem, I went to BIOS and my computer was choosing to read the AGP slot rather than my PCI slot. Now I have my monitor plugged into the graphic card but I tried installign the driver from the cd that came with it and I got the same message. Could this driver be out of date? If so could someone provide a driver that will work? It would be much appreciated.

you can either go to the card makers website and download the drivers or go to Nvidia's web site and download thier reference drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back