TechSpot

Uninstalling Norton

By Carazara
Jul 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can anyone help me to uninstall Norton Internet Security? I've tried the Add/Remove section (I'm on XP Professional by the way) but all I keep getting is that it recognises there was a previous version and I need to restart - it says that time and time again, no matter how many times I do that. I'm getting rid of Norton because of all the problems I've had...slowing down my PC, keeps saying my registration is no longer valid (which it is) and it doesn't recognised my registration number at all. I bought via the internet. Also, can any recommend a good, reliable, replacement. Easy speak, please!!
  2. Carazara

Carazara TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, Done!!

Ok, I've found the Norton Remover! As you were!!
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

4. Carazara

Thanks for the info. I've downloaded AVG Free Edition and it's busy scanning right now. I have the Windows Firewall going, so will I need any more additional protection or will these two be enough do you think?
  5. RealBlackStuff

Windows firewall only protects against INCOMING trafiic.
    Go to http://soho.sygate.com and get their free Sygate firewall.
    Then disconnect your PC from the internet, disable Windows firewall and install Sygate.

For good measure you should also install Adaware and Spybot S&D. Update and run these at least once a week.
    For downloading/installing them, see beginning of my thread:
    How to remove Begin2Search/Coolwebsearch and Other Nasties
  6. Carazara

Okay, I've done all this (I think!). Just to check...I've disabled Windows Firewall and downloaded:

AGV Anti Virus
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Ad-Adware SE
    Spybot S&S

Is that okay? I'm letting each programme do it's thing tonight so giving my PC a bit of a health-check.

One other thing, I downloaded Norton Remover, but I still can't get rid of all Norton Internet Security. Any tips.

Thanks for all your help. It's very much appreciated.
  7. RealBlackStuff

To obtain and use the RnisUPG.exe utility

1. Download the RnisUPG.exe file to the Windows desktop.
    2. On the Windows desktop double-click RnisUPG.exe to run the file. This file removes Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall from your computer.
    3. Restart the computer when prompted.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_files/nis/RnisUPG.exe

Run at your own risk! (as with anything else from the same rubbishmaker)
  8. Carazara

Thanks, again. A mine of info, aren't you?!! Thank goodness!
  9. Pablito

Pablito TS Rookie

Could you fill in some blanks on this thread. I need to remove Norton from my computer. What is the magic bullet?
  10. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is the magic bullet HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  11. Pablito

Pablito TS Rookie

Thanks for your help, I have systemworks 2003 version 6.0 and the remover states it must be done with windows add/remove software option. When I try this it only gives me a change option and doesn't give a remove option. This has no apprent effect on the softwares status.

12. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Try THIS instead.

Regards Howard :)
  13. Pablito

Pablito TS Rookie

Thank you! I will work on it again soon. I will also update my newcomer system info. Your a great help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.