Not open for further replies.

lokem

Wonder how those ads will look like...

Unisys, Microsoft to launch anti-Unix ads
By Stephen Shankland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
March 28, 2002, 12:35 PM PT
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-870805.html

Unisys and Microsoft plan to launch a marketing campaign Friday that seeks to undermine Unix, the operating system at the heart of powerful server lines from rivals Sun Microsystems, IBM and Hewlett-Packard.

Unisys is spending $25 million on the campaign, spokeswoman Pasha Ray said. Microsoft is adding funding of its own but declined to say how much.

The 18-month project will include advertisements, technical sales efforts and other marketing work plugging Unisys' high-end server and Microsoft's top-end version of Windows--two products that so far have made only their first steps into the data centers where high-end servers often reside.

The campaign, called "We have the way out," describes Unix as an expensive trap. "No wonder Unix makes you feel boxed in. It ties you to an inflexible system. It requires you to pay for expensive experts. It makes you struggle daily with a server environment that's more complex than ever," one ad reads.

Now I wonder how much FUD the ads will bring...

And nobody's talking about where WinNT's roots are: VMS, VAX, PDP-11, same as most Unix-OS's.. not to mention all that code copied from FreeBSD &c.

Think we use some manner of Unix at work for our servers to, they mess up regularly enough I guess but the workstations themselves are NT4 & supposedly Windows 2000 (Not that I'vre seen them) with a decent few things to stop you doing stuff you shouldn't be. Literally 3 minutes after I put up a background wallpaper I was being asked by others how to, lol, ahh they may disable display properties but not MS Paint ;)
Darn, forget what the system is now. Telnet's a regular use of mine as well, not as bad as I thought it would be. Actually maintaining a list of problems I find with the system so hopefully the next time they decide to update DIP my fixes will be in.

Funny bit in the Email help where it warns about using Internet explorer & you must have a good reason to use it over netscape, not that you'd regularly have net access anyway without an account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back