Unknown file in Winsock LSP

By iamity
Mar 18, 2008
  1. Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll

I took a look at my HJT log and when I checked this out it told me to download LSPfix and it couldn't find any problems...

Can anyone help me out or at least tell me what that file is?
  2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,158   +599

Unless you have netware or need access to a system with it, you should uninstall

Netware create the IPX protocol for TCP, which today is unnecessary.
  4. Blind Dragon

Does that depend on the OS joe?
  5. jobeard

NetBios over TCP/IP

I know it to be unnecessary on Win/*,
    configure NetBios over Tcp/ip​
    and suspect it is true everywhere.

Mac OS X:
    OS X fully supports SMB (Samba) and therefore IPX is included​

functions of the NetBIOS Kit of TCP/IP V2.0 for OS/2, also known as TCP/NetBIOS.​

IPX/SPX (Internet Packet Exchange/Sequenced Packet Exchange) is a proprietary protocol stack developed by Novell and based on the Xerox Network Systems (XNS) protocol. IPX/SPX became prominent during the early 1980s as an integral part of Novell, Inc.'s NetWare. NetWare became the de facto standard network operating system (NOS) of first generation LANs. Novell complemented its NOS with a business-oriented application suite and client-side connection utilities.

Linux has a very clean IPX/SPX implementation, allowing it to be configured as an:

* IPX router
    * IPX bridge
    * NCP client and/or NCP Server (for sharing files)
    * Novell Print Client, Novell Print Server

And to:

* Enable PPP/IPX, allowing a Linux box to act as a PPP server/client
    * Perform IPX tunnelling through IP, allowing the connection of two IPX networks through an IP only link

Additionally, Caldera offers commercial support for Novell NetWare under Linux. Caldera provides a fully featured Novell NetWare client built on technology licensed from Novell Corporation. The client provides full client access to Novell 3.x and 4.x fileservers and includes features such as NetWare Directory Service (NDS) and RSA encryption. ​
  6. Blind Dragon

So basically there is no need for it anymore. Why does it show on so many logs
  7. jobeard

old habits, old configurations, unaware, .... ??
  8. Blind Dragon

Was just curious as I see this quite often
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.