unknown hidden files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivolavavo

a pleasant day to all of you pc enthusiast..

antivirus: symantec

problem:

i download songs through Limewire.. i noticed that my subfolders contains "unknown hidden files". example: my folder contain only 18 songs (or 18files) but when you right click and go to the folder's "property" the folder contains "26 files". of course thats weird..and after sometime the folder will increase.. i really don't know wat is happening or what harm they can do..i always scan songs after i download it. but if this is a virus why does my antivirus can't determine it..?

tried solutionS:

1. i scan the folders.

2. i turned on the "show hidden file" option in the control panel. but still i can't see those hidden files.

3. i remove the songs from the folder and put it into a new one. but still that the new one will soon have those hidden files.

4. i deleted all the songs that inside the folder leaving only the folder. but still when you checked how many files it contains it still have those "weird hhidden files"

now my pc is ok but im worried that something might happen in the future. like the saying "prevention is better than cure".

hope u can help me. thank you and more power.

Personally, I recommend you stay well away from Limewire. It`s well known for delivering malware.

Even though your tuned on show hidden files, I bet you didn`t turn off the Windows protected OS protection did you?

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

This should now show the correct number of files in your folders and you will be able to see them.

Once you`re done, I advise you to rehide your proteced OS files.

Regards Howard :)

thanks for that immediate answer!

howard i did what you said take a look:

which of the files can harm my computer??

thumbs.db?
desktop.ini?
or those jpeg pictures?
or the songs?

what should i do howard? i noticed that some of my folder in m"My Documents" also have thumbs.db and desktop.ini.. what harm can they do?
waht action should i make?

tnx in advance!

Just be very careful when downloading of limewire.

I use it to get songs now and again, the pro version, but i am careful on what i download.

Regards Jase :)

tnx jase

me too i'm very careful when it comes to downloading.. as your personal advice what antivirus would you recommend?

Well i would say you either get avast! 4 Home Edition from here,
or AVG Antivirus from here. Both are free.

I also recommend getting a spyware program like AVG Antispyware. Which can be found here.

Regards Jase :)

None of those files are harmful. The Thumbs.db and the Deskotop.ini are OS files and should be left alone.

Rehide your protected OS files.

tnx Jase and Howard!!

howard, your right they are not harmful.. i search the net and walla! i figured out it safe! but howard is it okay if i delete those thumbs.db and desktop.ini?
and those jpeg images?

some say it is safe to be deleted. but i want to here it from you cause i trust you! your a great help.

more power howard!

jase, bro tnx for all the help man. more power to you too!

;) vivo

howard_hopkinson said:
The Thumbs.db and the Deskotop.ini are OS files and should be left alone.

Didn`t you read that bit?

I`ll say it again.

Leave those files alone and rehide your protected OS files.

By all means, delete the .jpeg files if you want.

yeah, hehe.. good luck

dont use limewire and others that often, you will get virus there..
also a pinoy eh? hehe

most of your mp3 tells it.. :D

For the record, P2P software often creates files as a result of incomplete downloads; if you never go back to complete them they just sit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back