TechSpot

Unlocking pipes and shadders for my 7800GT

By CrossFire851
Apr 8, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need help unlocking unlocking pipes and shadders for my 7800GT , like it says in the title.

Thanks for all the help I know I will receive!!

(450/1.08 OC'd @ 500/1.18)
  2. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,058

Help!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

As I have the same card in my desktop, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! ;)
  4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I think the 7800gt either doesn't have any more pipes/shaders, or they're hard disabled and can't be re-enabled. I tried to unlock my 7800gt with rivatuner, and it let me change the settings for the pipes and shaders, but even after rebooting the settings wouldn't "stick," it'd revert back to 20/7.
    Mine shows that pixel unit 3 is "disabled" and that vertex unit 7 is disabled. By it saying disabled, then I assume that it has the units on the card. Nvidia may have done hardware modification to prevent them from being enabled, like what could be done for (some) 6200 and 6800 cards.
  5. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,058

I tried rivna tunner with no avail.

Maybe if I revert to older drivers?

(not that I would want to)
  6. goliath9

goliath9 TS Rookie Posts: 69

ihave the program...can u

can u tell me how to how to use that program plz!!!!!!!!!
  7. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 256

the 7800 series use the same chip so the GT is essentially the same as the GTX. However, Nvidia decided to laser lock 4 pipes on the GT line. It is impossible to physically unlock 4 pipes to get a grand total of 24 pipes on the GT now. When the 7800 series was first made available to general consumers, some had mild success in seeing 24 pipes via Rivatuner, but after a reboot, the computer would revert back to the 20 pipes. The next batch of 7800's produced 3 months after the initial release slimmed the success rate of unlocking from mild to extremely rare.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.