Unmountable Boot Volume Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone.......
New here and desperately need some help.............ty in advance for any suggestions!

My kids' desktop (HP w Windows XP) now has this blue screen come up with an error message about an unmountable boot volume. After looking through some threads, I think there are usually 2 causes....new hardware (we don't have any) or a virus. Being the kids computer with their websites, I'd surmise the virus part.

The problem is the only screens I can get on my computer now are the
1. Blue Error Screen
2. The screen with options of starting in various modes........none of which work......they all go back to the error screen
3. the awardbios setup utility screen

I have seen where ,if I can get to a prompt, I can run a check disk kind of thing.....but can't even get to a workable screen.
Other suggestion has been to put the windows xp cd in (which I can't find) and re-boot/re-start.

Thanks again for any help. I can't afford a new computer right now and just hope I don't have a $500 paperweight for a computer. :(

Friday

Just in case anyone else ever has this problem...I figured out how to fix it:
1. I pressed F1 repeatedly to get into the BIOS setup and changed the boot order to read the CD drive first. Then I put in the Windows XP recovery CD in
2. Restarted computer and followed the steps to re-install/repair
Rhonda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back