Unmountable boot volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem all started when my monitor went out and I decided to use a 15 year old one that we had. The computer started up on this monitor but the screen was all fuzzy and messed up. I thought I might be able to fix it by changing some of the settings in safe mode but after I got into safe mode once the computer started going to the blue “Unmountable boot volume” screen.
I changed it over to a new monitor and this is what it does now:

First, I turn on my computer and I get a screen that says:

“Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.” Then it gives you the options of starting it in safe mode, safe-mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known configuration and start windows normally.

All end up showing the Unmountable Boot Volume screen. This is what the Tech. information says:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0X80EEF890, 0Xc0000032, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)

So then I got information to try and boot it from my restore CD. When I do that the computer starts with 2 options Restore Windows or Boot to Command Prompt from CD-Rom. I have not picked the restore option yet because I do not want to lose all of my files. When I select the boot from command prompt option this is what I get:

SYSTEM VERIFICATION
====================
System Information is Being Verified

A:\>

After this I can not access anything but the CD-Rom drive and the A drive (what ever that is). This is the contents of the A drive:
AutoExec.bat
Choice.com
Command.com
Config.sys
Ejectcd.exe
Em_Lock.exe
Ghost.exe
Ghost.env
Himem.sys
Mscdex.exe
Oakcdrom.sys
Reboot.exe

These are the only files that I can access on my computer.
I also got into BIOS and the Primary Master is [ST340810A-(PM)] and the Secondary Master is [Samsung CD-R/RW SW-21].

Please help me figure out what is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back