TechSpot

Unmountable_boot_volume error

By Mumbles2X
Sep 18, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have been having a problem with my laptop for the past week where I cannot start it up due to an error called "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". It gets stuck at the starting windows screen with no load bar. Then after a few minutes it will switch to a blue screen with the error.

I tried going into safe mode but that also gave me the same result. Safe mode will fail when it hits this file "\windows\Systems32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys".

My Laptop is a Samsung laptop with Intel core i7 and it uses windows 7. I would also like to mention that I did not download any new software recently that I'm aware of. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

This is a avast system file. Unless you can somehow get back into windows. It does not look good. If you can try your F8 key and click on ( last known good configuration) In the menu. You maybe able to get back in windows. If not and you have a win 7 dignostic disk. You maybe able to do a system restore to a earlier time and get back in windows. Hope this helps. This is only if it is avast that has cause this.

3. Mumbles2X

Mumbles2X TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried doing the last known good configuration but it still gave me the same results. Sadly I do not have a windows 7 diagnostic disk. Is there anyway to buy that disc for cheap, or maybe download something like the disc onto a flash drive? Just throwing out some ideas. Does avast usually cause this error?

4. Cobalt006

If you know someone who has win 7. They will be able to make one for you thru windows recovery. If you have a recovery partition you can boot into from outside of windows. This sometime times will give you the option to run a system restore. Avast , Avg or any for that matter can cause such an error if there files are corrupted.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  5. familyman14

familyman14 TS Enthusiast Posts: 185

Is it possible to DL Windows 7 on a flash drive from another computer to install on his?

6. Cobalt006

Yes