Unmountable_boot_volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

When I started my computer up, I got a BSOD:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP 0x000000ED (0x8636A900, 0cC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I did some research and found that this was not an uncommon problem and to use the Windows CD-ROM and to select R to repair the Volume. But when it searches on my CD I get a message that says:

The file cdrom.sys is corrupted
Press any key to continue

I tried it one more time and got this message:

The file cdfs.sys is corrupted

I am at a loss, any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

try not using the first prompt for repair
let it install then you will get another screen saying it found OS repair or add
try repair from this point
sounds like the MBR is corrupt
remember back it up

Samstoned said:
try not using the first prompt for repair
let it install then you will get another screen saying it found OS repair or add

But when it searches on my CD I get the message that says:

The file cdrom.sys is corrupted

The file cdfs.sys is corrupted

and the computer retarts

May be a bit too obvious to ask, but what condition is your cd in?
I'm 90% sure thats not your problem, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Are you sure you cd drive is working properly? Try another cd drive if you have one installed. If not just check the cables and make sure they are properly seated.

If you do that and it still occurs, try removing some RAM. Sometimes bad ram causes all sorts of wierd things to happen. Try each stick individually.

my CD is in good condition, and i only have one CDDrive..
i only have 1 stick of 1gb ram in my computer but i guess i can take it out and subsitute it for my old 512mb? :-/

on my computer i have windows xp home edition. i can get windows xp pro edition if i want. will that cd work at all??

it was my CD.. i borrowed a friend's xp recovery disk and went in the recovery console and chkdsk /r and it fixed it

Heya guys

Ok heres a great tale of computer trouble ok, same problem as above but mine started out as a random power down of the computer no error no nothing now similar to this has happened before . I did a system restore to about 5 days before as said in info i read ,so i did and restarted comp i get this blue screen type Unmountable_disk_volume well i looked it up online and read all the stuff to it but ,ok my hard drive is pretty much brand new and the cd is also i put the cd in and it read all drivers and stuff says starting windows and powers off thats it ------it did however get to the repair screen 2 times before it power off one time got there typed in chckdsk and pow was off the other i putin fixboot and it worked rebooted pc and same screen my exact error is 0x000000ed 0x0898aa368 0xc000009c rest areall 0s---curently gunna try this spare comp i got its old but hd is good im gunna try and slave my old drive and transfer boot.ini.... What about the power off thats what started it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back