Unplugging the fan on a GeForce FX 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a good idea? My fan is making all kinds of noise, I have already bought a replacement card from newegg.com, so the issue is only valid for a few days.

If I unplug the fan, will my card/system be ok?

Not a good idea.

If it has a fan it probably means it produces a lot of heat. The heatsink alone might be okay if you don't do anything GPU intensive, but you'll probably encounter overheating problems during gaming.

Or least of all before you do, look into buying another fan... it may be just a 20mm fan you can buy for less than $5

Or you can always go water cooled ;)

Since you asked, I wouldn't game until I replaced the fan. IMHO, it won't be fine to continue gaming.

I kindof agree, however, I have done so myself. Just watch your temps, and if you have an extra case fan, you may point it at your card...

Yeah, true. I sort of forgot you said you already have another card ordered. Try it and see.

I have 3 case fans blowing in various directions, so the flow of air isn't really a concern. I was just curious as to if anyone had any horror stories from doing such a thing. I've had it running without a fan for about 2 hours with no problems. I'm going to shut down for a few hours and let it cool down.

Like I said, I have another card coming (should be here tomorrow) so I'm not too concerned with keeping the card intact, if it does survive it's going to be repaired and used in my slackware box.

Thanks for all your input. If all else fails I have a box fan sitting next to me, I can hickstyle fix it until tomorrow ;]

I've had an Nvidia card's fan fail and the card fried before I realized it. I had an Radeon X800XT PE fan fail not too long ago and it's temps would go up fairly fast. I have an Arctic Cooling heatsink/fan to replace it but haven't done so yet because I upgraded to another graphics card since. Less powerful cards don't generate as much heat so you can get away with it longer.

I realize no one probably gives a crap, but everything survived and nothing went wrong.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back