Unreal 3 & GTA Holycrap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilKernel

A friend just came back from E3 and saw a live demo of Unreal 3 on a Geforce 6800. Looks like Unreal 3 makes SHREK look like southpark and as far as graphics is concerned, it will destroy HL2. For level design they design 2 levels, one high poly and one low poly. It takes the two, compares and makes a normal map for the difference. And it works flawlessly. Basically, the low polygon level is around 1 million polygons, and the high polygon is around 200 MILLION POLYGONS. 200 million, in one level. Check out the Video:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/140731.shtml

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Looks like the next GTA is going to be amazing as well. Whereas GTA3 and Vice City were cities, San Andreas will be a STATE. Yes, a state. There will be 3 cities each as big or bigger than liberty or vice city. And everything in between the 3 cities will be there. One city will be based on Los Angeles, one on Las Vegas and one on San Francisco. The engine has been upgraded bigtime, the AI is much much better, and will feature interiors to almost every building. The scale is just ridiculous. It takes place in the early 90’s so its like Gangsta inspired; bloods and crips, LA riots, that’s sort of thing. Your character will have much more RPG type elements. For example you will have to eat, and if you eat junk food your character actually gets fat and the NPC’s react to him, and might call him fat. Amazing!

I am definitely looking forward to this new generation in gaming...

Originally posted by EvilKernel
Looks like Unreal 3 makes SHREK look like southpark and as far as graphics is concerned, it will destroy HL2.

Agreed but from the last information I heard about the Unreal3 engine it wasn't going to be out this summer (2006 from what MrGaribaldi says here). So as far as killing HL2 I doubt it will but I do think HL2 will have a very short time to make an impact before Unreal3 engine comes along. Plus if you can build a game with the Unreal3 engine for the same kinda costs as with the HL2 engine I think we both know which one you'd be choosing without a doubt :D

From the UnrealTechnology website:
Unreal Engine 3
UE3 is Epic's next-generation technology, intended for games shipping on next-generation consoles and PCs. UE3 is early in its development cycle, which is an excellent opportunity for projects that need to be on the cutting edge of technology.

Wow..... They are actually able to do this?!? That's insane! But, I'm guessing this isn't going to happen in our lifetime right? I mean me and Arris aren't going to live forever... ;) Hahaha.

Originally posted by Akio
I'm guessing this isn't going to happen in our lifetime right? I mean me and Arris aren't going to live forever... ;) Hahaha.

Well my eyesight might be a bit worse (and I know my liver will be worse :dead: ) but I still plan on being alive around 2006 :D

Hahaha! Nice myself, I'm healthy... I've been eating raw food almost all my life! (Sushi yadda yadda yadda) It's really good for you. I get sick if I eat alot of junk food like 2 plates worth!
:grinthumb And Arris I saw your web pictures... Nice Swords!

:grinthumb And Arris I saw your web pictures... Nice Swords!

Just decorative you understand, I don't run around my appartment pretending to be The Highlander... :blush: honest.

I've got to say I have a certain affinity for the far east.
I've got plans to put a mural of "The Great Wave" on my bedroom wall and I've recently taken up Tai Chi.

I can't wait until games have the level of detail that the Unreal3 technology demo promises. Although they still have to provide a good overall gaming experience.

Hahaha sure, I'm from the far East I came from Korea but my dad is from Japan. I lived in Korea since I was 8 and I moved to Japan for 3 years and moved here. Hahaha! My brother's lived here all his life though. Anyway! Back on the topic, so Unreal 3? I though Unreal Tournament was Unreal 3... Or is that just something to keep us occupied until this "Oh so great game" comes out?

so Unreal 3? I though Unreal Tournament was Unreal 3... Or is that just something to keep us occupied until this "Oh so great game" comes out?

You can see the Unreal engine based products here

So far with Unreal games we have

Unreal Tournament - Unreal engine
Unreal - Unreal engine
Unreal 2 - Unreal 2 engine
Unreal Tournament 2003 - Unreal 2 engine
Unreal Tournament 2004 - Unreal 2 engine

Probably
Unreal 3 - Unreal 3 engine
Unreal Tournament 2006 - Unreal 3 engine

Urgh. Paintballing. I did that for the first time last weekend. Still have the bruises from it :blackeye:

Hahaha! PaintBalling is so fun though! :grinthumb Did you look at my brother's work? All that stuff in there like the T.V's are in my house. :grinthumb

Hahaha! PaintBalling is so fun though! :grinthumb Did you look at my brother's work? All that stuff in there like the T.V's are in my house. :grinthumb

Work in a LAN party Cyber cafe type place?

:eek: What the?!? No! Hey works in a Lan Party place... But what was with the Cyber Cafe? They sell food there if that's what you mean!

Anyway! When is all this supposed to happen? Like when is it all going to start (Unless it's already started) and when is it going to be finished? :confused:

Yep, although the game won't be out for another year or two, it ran like that on a Geforce 6800. The card rocks.

I am not sure about the game itself though. If it is as mediocre as Unreal2 it will sure need graphics like these to keep me entertained. Eventhough, by 2005-06 we may already be so used to these level of gaming that it may not even seem as impressive anymore. I guess time will tell...

So true! I'm hoping to live to actually see this "incredible" graphics! And who knows when this will happen. It seems every year the graphics to games get better and better!

I like the way that creature scrambles to get out of the sewer and stands on the other one's head, and then it rubs its face n looks mad...perks like that are needed to exploit such amazing graphics...CANNOT wait....my poor radeon9700pro will sweat at the thought of rendering a single frame of that tho :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back