Unrecognized Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to upgrade my memory on my Sony Vaio PCG-K13 from 512 MB to 768 MB. The motherboard has two slots for memory modules. The factory issue is 2x256 MB cards. I bought a 512 MB and will use one of the 256 MB modules.

The problem is that my computer only processes the 512 MB mod as a 256 MB. I've tried switching slots, using both mods then only the 512 and any other combination I can think of. The end result is always 256 MB per slot.

I've tried resetting BIOS to default settings.

I know the factory specs say that this notebook is capable of up to 1 GB of memory, including 756 MB. The new module is exactly the same as the 2x256MB--DDR266, CL2.

I've tried the techies at Sony for 3 hours, and they don't have a clue and then recommended me to a Sony store which doesn't exist within 70 miles of where I live.

Any suggestions? Thanks

If possible, test the RAM in a different system. They may have accidentaly labled it wrong. It could actually be 256MB!

here is something

Ok so your saying your machine should handle up to 1gig total right.
If you have the 512 in one slot and it isnt working try the other.
Sometime mobos are picky about what slot has the larger of the two sticks.
Also your mobo may support that much memory if you do a bios upgrade. Be careful with that one. A bios upgrade done wrong can render your mobo dead. (without much money to fix.)

thanks, tried switching slots. when i get time, will have to have a local tech look at it. might just have to buy new RAM.

rob12233 said:
I'm trying to upgrade my memory on my Sony Vaio PCG-K13 from 512 MB to 768 MB. The motherboard has two slots for memory modules. The factory issue is 2x256 MB cards. I bought a 512 MB and will use one of the 256 MB modules.

The problem is that my computer only processes the 512 MB mod as a 256 MB. I've tried switching slots, using both mods then only the 512 and any other combination I can think of. The end result is always 256 MB per slot.

I've tried resetting BIOS to default settings.

I know the factory specs say that this notebook is capable of up to 1 GB of memory, including 756 MB. The new module is exactly the same as the 2x256MB--DDR266, CL2.

I've tried the techies at Sony for 3 hours, and they don't have a clue and then recommended me to a Sony store which doesn't exist within 70 miles of where I live.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I have the exact same problem too. Have u rectify the problem? What is the reason for the problem.

Same problem

Attn: COWYMO

I've got the same problem trying to upgrade memory in my Sony K13. Sony Tech Support has been of no help. I've been the route of re-install the SODIMMs, try other slots, try a combination of old & new SIDIMMs etc., etc., etc. The memory test out fine with various software. No matter what, the machine will not recognize the new SODIMMs as 512mb sticks. It insists they are 256mb sticks. It certainly appears to be a BIOS problem. By-the-way, I've got the latest BIOS from the Sony website, but that didn't fix it.

If happen to find a fix, please respond.

Thanks in advance.

What operating system do you have? Anything under Xp/2000 won't accept more than 512MB memory no matter how much you put in, just to let you know.

"cfitzarl" - Thanks for your response. The operating system is Windows XP (sp2). As I mentioned, I don't believe this is an operating system problem. The memory should be recognized by BIOS, but is not. The Corsair SODIMMs are 512MB (system specific for the Sony VAIO K13 laptop), but BIOS recognizes the modules as 256MB SODIMMs.

There is no provision in BIOS to alter the default amount of total memory (512MB).

NOTE: According to Sony, the K13 model is supposed accommodate up to 1 GB of RAM. Corsair, Kingston, & Crucial all indicate that as well, and make system specific memory for the Sony Vaio K13 laptop.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back