Unrecoverable errors on volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelye68

Hi,

I was trying to do a fresh Windows XP install on a Toshiba laptop A65 s-1062. I am able to get into recovery console, but then get "this volume appears to contain unrecoverable problems". Everything was going smoothly, then I got a BSOD, shut down the system and just started over. There is nothing on my C:drive. I tried to run chkdsk with no help (Sorry, I have been looking at it so long, I don't remember what the error was with it, but know it didn't even start)!

I have a full version of xp - not an upgrade. Never had a problem before. This was supossed to be a suprise for my 65 year old mother who is in town this weekend, and has backfired horribly!!

Any help, suggestions, directions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Sounds like the HDD may be failing. You might want to consider replacing it. Being able to post the error message would help greatly though.

It will not install from CD, the CD is good and valid. When I got to recovery console, and do a "dir" of c: or of the cd drive, "d:" it says "an error occurred during directory enumeration"........

Replace the hard drive.
That laptop uses Toshiba drives, which do not offer a drive fitness test.
You can go to Start -> Run -> and type in Chkdsk /F to run a check of the entire hard drive... but my guess is you will find errors that cannot be fixed.
Save your data if you can. If not, and the data is needed, use an adapter to install the drive in a desktop as slave, and rescue the data while you still can, understanding that it can continue failing until it quits working.

you could try using the toshiba recovery disc. which comes with standard windows system on it. insert the disc. shut the laptop off then hit F12 and hold while powering back on, when in touch with tomorrow toshiba shows realease the F12 and follow the promps. if you have the product recovery disc,

But this could wipe out all the data on your drive...
Run Checkdisk first, or save your valuable data first.
Luckily mobile hard drives are very inexpensive... as low as $45 plus shipping for a Toshiba... then you can use the recovery disc.

Ned HDD - No Display??

Ok, so I have replaced the hard drive, but now I have no display! Can anyone give me any ideas?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back