Unrelated problem - my tv blew up:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hey guys,

this is completely unrelated to computers, but I figured a tv was similar to a monitor and therefore posted it in the audio and video forum.

Anyways, this morning I turned on my tv (the standby light was on before I turned it on) and the operation light came on for about 1/3rd of a second, i heard a bit of a snap (like lightning strike) and then it turned off along with any lights. I turned it off and on several times to no avail. This problem had occured to another of my tv's which was repaired under warranty - this is not covereed under warratny so need to do it myself. \

Any ideas/help appreciated!

Take it to a repair shop and have them replace the fuse?
Really, the repair may even be something so trivial that even you can do yourself.

Since this is your second TV set already, you should consider looking over your power system and maybe install surge protectors and suchlike. Make sure you use grounded outlets for everything and the antenna is grounded too.

I would take it to get fixed, but I am completely broke lol:( - as always if I may add...:p

Anyways, I can open it up and fix it myself if possible, but I'd need someone to tell me what I'm looking for. Yeh, I do need to looking into installing surge protectors, but like I said, I'm completely broke and to install surge protectors for all my electronic devices I'd say I'm looking at at least a grand. I should concider it though since I have over $20000 worth of devices running day and night:(

Anyways, at this time all I really wanna do is get my tv fixedd...

Regards,

Korrupt

If it is the fuse, then all you need to change it with the same rated fuse etc.
Look for the slot/cover where the fuse should be and open that, or if its inside the case/on the circuit board, then be very careful about touching anything inside, especialy the glass tube and capacitors.. then bring that fuse to jaycar, dicksmith or any other electronic shop you like and ask them if they have a replacement one.
i'm sure you've heard of some dodgy people from a current affair a while back of those people who charge insane amounts (nearly the price of the tv..) just to change a fuse ($2) so if it is a fuse remember its an easy fix.

If its something more deeper, you need some understanding in electronics and know how to weild a soldering kit as a weapon :D..

**Oh yeh.. you may want to leave your TV unplugged for a while and find out ways to drain any residual electricity (like a PSU, except more powerfull) before you open it or operate on it.. you may be in for a shock.. :)

N3051M said:
**Oh yeh.. you may want to leave your TV unplugged for a while and find out ways to drain any residual electricity (like a PSU, except more powerfull) before you open it or operate on it.. you may be in for a shock.. :)

I hate you:mad: You couldve told me how long it takes to drain residual power. I left it unplugged for 24 hours, and still got one almighty shock! Twice! Now my whole body is tingling and my penis shrunk to half its size:(

Anyways, after my 2 rather painfull experiences, I managed to get the fuse out - it's white where normally its seethrough, does that mean its blown?

Regards,

korrupt

Yes, That means it's blown, when not visible you can test a fuse with a multimeter on the continuity, beep ok, no beep blown, if the fuse blows again when you replace it, it's gonna be a deeper problem, like an internal shortcircuit at the horizontal section, I don't know much about tv repair, just the basics, and leaving the tv unplugged for 24 hours won't drain the change stored on those capacitors, actually you need to discharge it to ground, but well you have learned now the hard way like many others. Good Luck

korrupt said:
I hate you:mad: You couldve told me how long it takes to drain residual power. I left it unplugged for 24 hours, and still got one almighty shock! Twice! Now my whole body is tingling and my penis shrunk to half its size:(

Anyways, after my 2 rather painfull experiences, I managed to get the fuse out - it's white where normally its seethrough, does that mean its blown?

Regards,

korrupt
lol.. well i did warn you you may get a shocking experience :evil: :D

I really don't know how long it takes for it to die out.. some people say a few days some say leave it for a week... at least you didn't open it after waiting a few minutes (like you'd normaly do fixing a PC..) Now, that would've been a shock.

Yeh that white means its blown, and like rmdl51 said, if you want to perform a test you can.. On one of the silver ends you can find some words/numbers that will tell you what you can replace it with eg 230V @ 10Amps or something.. i can't remember... or easier just bring it with you to the shops..

Good ol' CRTs.. just wait till we go laser......

Be thankful that it wasn't a black/white TV you are working on. Their caps held a lot more charge and really packed a whalop!

Thanks for all your help, I will go out and buy a new fuse and post back with the results. Once again, thanks for your help!

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back