Unresponsive script firefox portable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Firefox Portable 2.0.0.xx on a SanDisk Cruzer 4 GB USB drive for several months now without a problem. It's great, because I get to use my bookmarks, add-ons, etc., on my home and work desktops and laptop, or for that matter public computers.

A couple of weeks ago I started getting "unresponsive script" errors, which got progressively worse to the point I practically can't use the program. I've tried raising the value of dom.max_script_run_time. to 40 in about:config, but it did not make a difference. I've updated the Java installation on all computers -- that seemed to help for a day or so, but the problem soon returned. I've turned off firewalls and spyware programs, does not seem to affect anything. I've tried different USB ports, all of which are supposed to be 2.0, it does not seem to affect anything. I even tried removing 2GB of files off the USB, doesn't make a difference.

If someone has a solution, please let me know. I'd hate to go back to trying to keep my bookmarks, add-ons, etc., synchronized across 3 computers using MozBackup.

Thanks,

need specifics of the error message.

look in the Event Viewer to find it and post the contents in your followup.

First, Java has got nothing to do with JavaScript. They are completely different things.

Do you get the error on a specific site or on all websites? If it happens everywhere, then you probably have a misbehaving addon in your Firefox. Remove them one by one and see which one makes the problem go away.

jobeard and Nodsu -

Thanks for responding.

jobeard - there are no error messages in Event Viewer. The message comes in Firefox only: "Warning: unresponsive script - A script on this page may be busy, or may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete." The choices are "Stop script" and "Continue" -- whichever I choose, Firefox remains frozen and the same message comes back about 20 seconds later. This continues until I stop Firefox using Task Manager.

Nodsu -

It has happened on many different sites,. I will follow your advice, removing add-ons, to see if this solves the problem.

Thanks again,

redhd1 said:
Warning: unresponsive script - A script on this page may be busy, or may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Your script is accessing the internet (likely a DNS) for resources and it has timed out.

check your configuration for the script (if it has one)

jobeard and Nodsu -

I followed Nodsu's advice and removed all add-ons (scorched earth), and now Firefox Portable is working fine again. I'm putting add-ons back in small bunches, watching for the problem to return.

I'm a happy camper again. Thanks for your help!

its coz of add-on "redirect remover" i think, at least i could solve it for a website.

by the way
firefox portable leaves some rests on system partition ....
just check your documents folder in windows. (don't know english path name exactly)
or search for "profiles.ini", "pluginreg.dat", "background.bmp" for example.

i'm running v2.0.0.13.

cY

FFP is supposed to remove its own files at exit automatically. Files left behind by plugins are another matter. Macromedia players for example leave behind LSO files that show what websites you have played flash content from.

FFP is supposed to remove its own files at exit automatically. Files left behind by plugins are another matter. Macromedia players for example leave behind LSO files that show what websites you have played flash content from.

you have a link where is explained how FFP exactly works? i mean, portableapps.com says it's 100% used on usb-stick only... wrong !?

another thing: what happens when running the usb-stick with FFP on another Operating System? i mean, you usually have to define the OS at installation. but FFP does'nt really install.

cya

FFP is a 32-bit Windows application and works like one. It is tweaked not to require installation and reside in a single directory.

There is nothing magical about applications. It is just a bunch of files and you can do anything you want with them. Put it on a CD, USB stick, hard drive, toilet paper.. The media is irrelevant.

You do not run USB sticks, you run programs. FFP is a 32-bit Windows program and you can use any OS that supports this kind of programs. If you look at the "details" page of FFP, then you see all the operating environments supported.

thanks for answering, and helping me (you did).

but i want to make it clear.
my fx portable definitly makes a folder on the system volume = another volume than the one where FirefoxPortable is in.
The folder even contains parts of the profile; "bookmarkbackups", *.js-files, etc.

these files are not saved after each firefox session, its more after 3 restarts or so. strange -.-

i definitly have only the fx portable on this system.

for the sake of completeness, here my about:config entries linking to system partition:
- browser.download.lastDir
- print.printer_Ghostscript_PDF.print_to_filename

- by the way, another thing: how often do you reinstall firefox? i mean, you should reinstall Operating System from time to time, and this applies to firefox too, coz all the extensions make it an own OS :) i have about ~60 extensions installed. my firefox is not really slower / its acceptable.

cyA

by the way, another thing: how often do you reinstall firefox? i mean, you should reinstall Operating System from time to time
never. I update from time to time, but NEVER just runabout reinstalling.

imo, reinstalling programs or reformatting and reloading windows means
I lost control and need to learn how to manage my system better.
just my $0.02 :)

Nodsu said:
FFP is a 32-bit Windows application and works like one. It is tweaked not to require installation and reside in a single directory.

There is nothing magical about applications. It is just a bunch of files and you can do anything you want with them. Put it on a CD, USB stick, hard drive, toilet paper.. The media is irrelevant.

You do not run USB sticks, you run programs. FFP is a 32-bit Windows program and you can use any OS that supports this kind of programs. If you look at the "details" page of FFP, then you see all the operating environments supported.

1. when all 32-bit windows programs are in your sense the same, why do then exist incompatibilities with several programs when switching from windows xp to vista?

2. it seems not to be well tweaked when those files remain on hard disk.

3. do i have to download the new version from portableapps.com when new updates are available, or is it ok to just update with the integrated function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back