Unsuccessful upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro = Recipe for Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Pavillion 762n that I wanted to upgrade from XP home to Pro.
During the upgrade, I got about 50% through and received an fatal error message stating a critical file needed was not present. If I clear the error, and restart this scenario plays again in a loop. Using the F10 key does nothing. I can not access BIOS. Technically speaking, I am stuck in between home and pro.
HP suggests I get recovery disks (haha) 5069-3897 which they dont carry. Ive tried BigBlue.com and ambry and these disks are just not out there. Are there any other ways to access the D: partition to see if I can recover from there? or is the only solution to nuke the HD and pave over it?

Botany99 said:
I have an HP Pavillion 762n that I wanted to upgrade from XP home to Pro.
During the upgrade, I got about 50% through and received an fatal error message stating a critical file needed was not present. If I clear the error, and restart this scenario plays again in a loop. Using the F10 key does nothing. I can not access BIOS. Technically speaking, I am stuck in between home and pro.
HP suggests I get recovery disks (haha) 5069-3897 which they dont carry. Ive tried BigBlue.com and ambry and these disks are just not out there. Are there any other ways to access the D: partition to see if I can recover from there? or is the only solution to nuke the HD and pave over it?

Are you using Windows XP Pro Upgrade or the full version? If your using windows XP Pro upgrade you need too leave the windows xp Home full version in the computer until you get to the part where you enter the product key and it should install normally. If you dont remove the disk when you enter the code it will not except it.

Hope that helps!
Puppetgrimm1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back