Unusual Overclock !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinit90

I decided to overclock my QUANTUM 6600gt to get some more gaming power, i bet that you wouldn't have heard of it.

It is the 128 Mb version.I am not even sure that it uses GDDR3 interface or not.

The default specs are:-

Core Clock :- 300 Mhz
3D clock :- 400 Mhz

Yes, i believe that some people out there say that it is a cross between 6600 vanilla and 6600gt but i can't confirm it.

The overclocked frequencies are :-

Core Clock :- 407 Mhz
3D clock :- 640 Mhz yes you read it right 640 Mhz.

so for the core clock it is 35.67 %
and for the 3D clock it is :- An AMAZING 60 %

i believe that i can overclock temp but i need better cooling as the temp is around 65C on load.

i tried the 3D clock to 653 Mhz but it stck for a couple of seconds while playing motogp3 on full details for about 1 hour.

I believe that leaving the temperature the overclock is pretty amazing.

i am not considered about it's life as i will probably do hardcore gaming for only a couple of months.

So you people out there what do you say.

What would you like us to say? Other than stating that you can overclock the card beyond the point of stability, and then have an unstable card, you didn't really state what kind of problem if any you are having?

Lawl, the reason nobody tries to overclock a GF6600 very very high is because its never the best ever card. Ie: no "Highest 3DMark point" bragging rights.

If you tried getting the highest ever 6800, 7800, or 8800, and succeeded, that would put you on some sort of "overclocking pedestal".

But then again, seeing that you're into all this overclocking thing as well, can you name the guy who currently holds the highest 8800gtx overclock?

Me neither.

Bottom line is, there's really nothing to boast about. Its a feel good factor IMO, the fact that you've been best at something at one time.

even with that card overclocked, i dont think it will run games well or anything moderately intensive right?

it runs oblivion on mid high details with bloom and AAx2 nad it is a pci-e card.

no,i dont like bragiing but i was expecting replies like
"Oh that's amazing......"
"yeah even i happened to do it......"

@supersmashbrada i am not so rich as you are am trying to use my components to the fullest

Whoever mentioned being rich. Trust me if i were rich I wouldnt be here on this forum. I'd pay someone to do it for me. Dont look at my specs and auto assume. No one is rich around here. I just dont have any bills:) Also I guess the reason why no one is suprised because most of us do some type of overclocking, and doing the lowend stuff just doesnt appeal to most I guess. Idunno.

My kid is using an evga 6600GT AGP card on my old P4 3.2GHz IC7 rig. He uses custon refresh rates and can get close to 100fps on counter strike with everything set low. But it won't run anything newer than FEAR. It was a decent card though, in it's day.

okay the main problem is that it gets toooooooooo over-heated while on load the temperatures are around 85 celsius,and idle around 65 celsius.

i think that this temperutre will surely damage my card so i underclocked it a little bit.

maybe the excess heat is due to the hot temperatures outside exceeding 45c

do you think that removing the plastic dust cover from my case will help.

Your ambient room temp is 45C? Where do you live, the Saharan desert?

If you're complaining that the air IN the case is 45C, you definately need more fans on your case, and re-manage the airflow.

I'm also assuming you've changed the cooling to an aftermarket one, if you didn't, there is quite alot of room for doubt of this overclock.

LSHCSOMN!! Come on man, this thread is a joke right? You have a plastic dust cover over your case? Ok maybe you are serious...here, take a look at this. I have a modified 12V car vacuum attached to the front of my case for "super duper" cooling. Maybe something like that could work for you? Check the link in my sig for more pictures of my system that might help you with the heat issue. In particular the pics of my video card game, and proper wire/cable management.
newfanjoke3.jpg

maybe the excess heat is due to the hot temperatures outside exceeding 45c

Or maybe the excess heat is due to the fact that you OCed your vid card 65%!!!!

Im pretty sure anyone here could ruin there computer, just as easy as you are..if thats what you are trying to say.

You run your computer with a dust cover over it!? Wow, that is horribly stupid..why don't you just duct tape the fans shut while your at it!

First off, I dont regard irresponsible PC usage as a good thing...But he is obviously begning the OCing thing...but it obvious he needs some serious guidence on PC care!

However, the flame and attack is unwarranted! This is a board that I know Julio and the mods regard as a friendly atmosphere. I dont see friendly in this thread.

I am not saying that we needed to be super nice, but there are better ways to criticize.

Sean

I misread the "dust cover" to be the side panel for some reason.

If you're talking about an air-filter, there are numerous reasons why you'd run a computer with air filters on. Having dust on heatsinks don't improve their efficiency you know...

Part of overclocking to get the maximum use of the card INCLUDES being able to run it for your use. If you can get those overclocks, but the card crashes and artifacts after 5 minutes, it is NOT a successful overclock. Those sorts of overclocks are only good for getting 3DMark points for showing off.

And yes, there seems to be an air of hostility here... Lets not do that.

AtK SpAdE said:
First off, I dont regard irresponsible PC usage as a good thing...But he is obviously begning the OCing thing...but it obvious he needs some serious guidence on PC care!

However, the flame and attack is unwarranted! This is a board that I know Julio and the mods regard as a friendly atmosphere. I dont see friendly in this thread.

I am not saying that we needed to be super nice, but there are better ways to criticize.

Sean

YES I AM A BEGINNER.

Thanks for highlighting better ways to criticize

Well, constructive criticism is good, which is what AtK SpadE was probably trying to say.

Well, to a beginner, all I can say is that overheating will definately be bad for your computer, and with overclocking, heat should be a consideration, as well as the more important things such as stability and performance gains. Usually I'd take care of heat first by getting the biggest heatsink I can get, and then see how much I dare push from there without compromising stability. You can always push a little farther, as in reality there is no such thing as a maximum overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back