TechSpot

Unusual situation re- b.exe

By mott
Jun 22, 2008
  1. Hi all
    I hope i dont upset anyone by posting my problem in here (i put it in the introduce myself forum by mistake)
    Anyway down to bussiness the pc with the problem is a dell dimension 2350 it is old but it has xp pro- on it service pack 1- celeron 1.7 mhz -512 ram -30gig hd (not full)
    the problems;
    1/ b.exe
    2/ cmd - ipconfig - task manager - regedit - command prompt - all fail to open and i get "another program is using this file"
    3/ i cant get it online at all dial up or usb cable broardband called virgin media went through some steps to get the ip address to no avail so ip address missing too
    things I have done ; put norton on (2005) did a scan found nothing but then it was not updated (no internet) put adaware on it (not updated) that found loads including 10 instances of trojan hunter banker
    i disabled system restore and deleated those put spybot on it but wouldnt run until i had updated definitions not sure how to get updates from my pc to the infected one without risking infecting mine ..i did find the update file by exploring my hd and coppied the updates on to a disc then tried to put them in to the update file on the other pc seemd to go ok but still wont scan
    I did manage to get HJT on to it but i dont think its upto date and even if it does scan how do i get the hjt log in to this forum unless i save to notepad then put on disc etc
    i have looked for b.exe in here and there are posts relating to it but they can still get online i cant- any help would be apreciated

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Wipe your system entirely. Update XP to SP3 and ditch Norton download and insrall AVG or Avast antivirus. They are free and much, much better than Norton. Also download and install CCleaner. It is also free and very good

3. mott

mott TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi ok norton is now gone , if i download avg and the other programs you mention to my good pc can i put them on to a disc and install on the pooly pc without having to update them? as i said its not online at the moment
    actualy i do have one other alternative but im not sure it will work...i have a spare hard drive with xp home edition sp2 on it ..i did put it in to the dell pc but things didnt work out too good i think there was somekind of conflict between new hd and the dell bios but if anyone has some ideas on using this spare hard drive instead of trying to flog a dead horse so to speak .then im all ears
    thanks again

4. Tmagic650

If the Dell chipsets are the same, you could try the second hard drive again and tell us what the exact error or conflict you see. The best thing to do is to get an XP install disc and format and install XP, SP2 or SP3 fresh. You can find the Dell motherboard drivers on line after the system is up and running if you need drivers

5. mott

ok so what we have now is the spare hard drive in the dell ...at startup all i get is the ...we apologise for the inconveniance ,but windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this

if your computer stopped responding ,restarted unexpectedly or was automaticaly shut down to protect your files and folders choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked
    if a previous start up attempt was interupted or or because the power or reset button was pressed or if you arnt sure what caused the problem ,choose start windows normaly
    safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with command prompt
    last known good config
    start windows normaly
    ...doesnt matter which option i choose it goes to the blue dell logo spins up the floppy clicks abit then dumps back to the safe mode etc screen
    a little more info ..by messing about with different keys i managed to get a screen up thats as follows
    Phoenix-awardbios v6.00pg , an energy star ally
    copyright (c) 1984-2001, phoenix technologies ltd
    (bios A00_

Primary master ; st320413a 3.39
    Primary slave ; none
    Swcondary master ; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL11
    secondary slave ; none

keyboard error or no keyboard present

6. Tmagic650

You are going to have to do a fresh install of XP using a XP install disc. I don't know if you have the Dell restore discs...

7. mott

hi there my friend
    just to let you know with the situation as it was i had no choice but to take drastic action. to that end i have put the spare hard drive in to another tower and as if by magic alls well (all be it a little slow) (pentium 3 lol ) so at the moment we can put this issue to bed thanks for your help my friend and your prompt responses much apreciated
    adios for now

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.