TechSpot

Unusual wi-fi outgoing transmission

By Agent J
Aug 23, 2007
  1. I just moved this from the Storage & Networking forum as it might be more appropriate here..

Since last night, I was puzzled why my browsing was frozen. I couldn't receive any data. I checked my network activity through Task Manager and was surprised that my computer was continuously sending around 400Kbps! I closed all applications and still it was sending. I disable my wi-fi and enabled it again, and it continued sending data again.

when i checked with my internet provider, the data sent didn't register with their system and to my billing. what could be causing this? what can i do? this usually happens a few hours after i boot up and have a couple of programs running. thanks in advance!

here's my hjt log file while it wasn't acting up yet.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

As I suspected, your system IS infected. You need to have a thorough read of the sticky threads (at the top of the forum) first.

This thread is for the use of Agent J only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I apologise for having to alter my post several times but i am a little rusty as i have bee absent from TS for some time and its taking me a little while to get back into the swing of things

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,469   +327

possible suspects are the many AutoUpdate services for many programs,
    eg Java, Adobe, Windows, AVG, COMODO, ... there's quite a list.

btw: unless you have a Printer connected via Ethernet, your Bonjour service is
    useless; it will never discover a USB printer for example.

4. Agent J

Agent J TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

thanks for the info rik n jobeard.. here are the updated log files of AVG antispyware, hjt, and combofix. antirootkit didn't find any hidden files.

thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.