Unusually high temperature for 9500GT

Problem Jack

Hey there I am running a NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT graphics card and have been experiencing really bad frame-rate while playing games, i've established with the help of others that the main problem could be the temperature of the GPU which when idle is between 65-75C and when playing a game such as World of Warcraft the temperature rockets to over 100C!

I've tried knocking up the fan to 100% using EVGA but to no avail and down-clocking only alters the temperature by 2-3C max. :(

All the latest drivers are installed and i've tried cooling it with fans: this does work while idle but, fans or not, when a game is started it will shoot back up regardless. I get my readings from Speed Fan and my specs are:

System model: Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation 470

OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Processor: 2.80GHz Intel Xeon (2 installed)

Hard-drive: ST3400832AS [Hard drive] (400.09 GB), s/n 4NF2GHDX (SATA)

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0T0820 , CN1374049H00YJ, bus Clock: 800 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Inc. A07 03/15/2006

Memory: 3GB (2x512MB & 2x1024MB) DDR2

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah my case is quite dusty itself but yesterday I did remove the graphics card itself and give it a good airing, removing the dust from the fan/heat-sink etc. The thermal seal is an option i've thought about and a few months ago I did remove it to sort a different problem with it... could this of harmed the card in any way? And if so, how can I tell if the seal is not functioning properly?

well, many overheating issues commonly related to the dusty environment or dry thermal gel. if you have cleaned the case, let's check the thermal gel part.

if previously you have mistakenly added / removed the thermal pad / gel, it could be the issue. i can't tell exactly without you removing the heatsink and probably re-apply the thermal gel.

many graphic cards (including one 9500GT i own) comes with this thermal pad. within a year they dry and therefore did not provide the necessary attributes required. if you're wondering why, the thermal gel act as a medium between the very tiny gap between the metal part of the heatsink and the 9500GT core. as air isn't a very good heat conductor, thermal gel is used. either too much or too less is not desired.

therefore, the first troubleshooting steps i suggest is for you to re-apply the thermal gel. it shouldn't cost much. and then we'll see if the card continues to overheat...

OK will get hold of some Thermal Gel and post back the results.

Any Idea what sort of Gel I should be looking at? Currently i'm interested in some OCZ Freeze.

MX2 or Arctic Silver thermal paste. When I apply this I usually put a dot of it in each corner and use a straight edge to apply it evenly like my life depended on it.

P.S dont make a new thread for this problem. I spent 20 minutes wondering if you disappeared or just didnt respond at all, and that's just not helpful.

some people highly suggest arctic silver 5. i personally just agree with any brands, although i hate the coolermaster premium.

Ok Arctic Silver it is, :) and sorry Super for that, :( I thought since the topic had swayed from a general OS issue to a more definitive problem it would be better to change the topic entirely, i'll remember for the future.

I'll post back with the results but it may be a day or two wait to get hold of some and see it's effect. Thank you both for your info.

I used OCZ freeze for a year or so and upon using Artic MX-3 I never went back to the OCZ freeze. Not to say Freeze wasn't good.. just not as good.

Back