Unwanted icons popping up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizerist

hi.
i am getting quite frustrated at the various BOTTOM RIGHT icons that keep coming up upon startup (next to the time), yet there is nothing in my startup list.
i only want my antivirus and firewall to come up, any other apps can wait till i open them.

how can i change this?
cheers.

Check out StartUp
It's an innovative start-up items editor, which allows you to identify, add, edit, remove or disable items using an intuitive graphical user interface. Start-Up is a small standalone executable, so you can easily take it with you! The embedded help file explains everything you ever wanted to know about your computer's start-up.

thanks that will probably do it.
is there nothing in windows which will do the job though? im baffled.

Start > Run > type MSCONFIG > Startup Tab

You can use that, but it only disables items from starting. The StartUp Tool actually removes the entries. Then you just launch them as needed.

The area you are speaking about is called the Notification Area- renamed from the 'Systray' in earlier versions of Windows.

Pop-ups in this area can indicate many things: an alert of some kind from your firewall, an update for something is needed, or frequently spyware that has gotten on your system an is trying to get your attention.

But my mind reading abilities are on vacation today! Unless you give some information about the pop-up(s) we can't determine the cause or the 'fix'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back