Unwanted Ram stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

First off my computer spec is :

AMD 64 3200
MSI 200XPRESS mobo (MS-7093)
3g of ram
HIS X800xl (flashed to a X850 for no reason.....long story lol :suspiciou )
Windows xp pro

At xmas there i got a upgrade of 2G of ram, on top of the 1g i had bringing me up to 3g. I figured this would help me on my gameing. Anyways ive noticed some strange action on my system lately, seems to be "sticking" at places (Windows media player seems to be the most obvious)

I have always had problems with getting dual channel to enable on my mobo, and have never been able to find out why as i thought all the sticks were correct for it. But i checked my timeings as i read up on dual channel and these need to be the same. here is what everest said

DIMM1 1024mb - @200mhz 3.0-3-3-8
DIMM2 1024 mb - @200mhz 3.0-3-3-8
DIMM3 512mb - @200mhz 2.5-4-4-8
DIMM4 512mb(has 3 this one)- @200mhz 3.0-3-3-8
2.5-3-3-7
2.0-2-2-6

As you can notice one of the sticks timeings is slower than the others(DIMM3). And i was just wondering if it was possible this stick was slowing the others down? or could this cause any problems? And is it worth getting it replaced as that wouldnt be any trouble, but i dont want to waste money on something i wont benifit from lol

cheers
:D

Its not making them slow i think...

make sure u read the MoBo Manual to see compatibility issues of your Ram and the propper way to set up 3Gigs...

Wrong Setup

You don't have dual channel setup correctly. Most boards set up like this:

DIMM1: 1 G
DIMM2: 512 MB
DIMM3: 1 G
DIMM4: 512 MB

This is how most MOBO require to enable dual channel.

I tried settings them up that way m8, still wont run in dual channel. And no compatibility options mentioned. Would it be worth just trying the 2 1g sticks to see if itll run in dual?

Yes

In this case, your system will run better all around. AMD boards have the memory controller built into the CPU so although they'll run 4 DIMMS they run alittle better with only 2 + I think it'll be easier for you to setup Dual Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back