Unwanted start-up choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickzer

Hi All,
I installed Mandriva Linux on partition H: (with Windows XP HE on C: ) just to see if I could learn a bit about it. Then I needed the space it was taking up, so I deleted partition H: and formatted it) from Windows through Disk Management (which saw it as “unknown partition”. Now I have a choice at boot-up of which OS I want to run. Luckily I had it set to run Windows by default or I would have been in bigger trouble now. My question is how can I get rid of the choice at start-up? I don’t remember what file system I used for Mandriva, but Win XP is on NTFS. Neither OS could see the other. I also can’t remember which boot loader I used when asked , but I think it was Grub!!!.
I would like to do this from Windows if possible.I have a live Ubuntu CD ,if that could help any,but I would need exact instructions as I can’t get into Linux at all.
Thank you all in advance and if you need any more info, let me know, OK.

Mickzer.

From here - Tidy

"I have used FIXMBR to remove the grub loader on a windows xp sp2 system just a few days ago. I was running Windows XP and Fedora Core 3. worked just fine."

and here - Tidy

"Untick 'Time to display OS systems' in 'startup & recovery (or reduce timeout to zero)and select default from drop down menu.......

If you only have the one OS?.....then fix the MBR at the recovery console with the fixmbr C"

Hi Peddant,
I fixed it with the FIXMBR at the Recovery Console. Thanks.
BTW What would have been the correct way to have removed Mandriva...or any other Linux OS? (Just in case)
mickzer.

Hi Peddant.

Where do you find all the links you post?

You must spend hours trawling the web or something lol.

Nontheless, You`re doing a great job.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back