Upcoming Galaxy Gear smartwatch to reportedly ditch Android in favor of Tizen

1. According to a USAToday report, anonymous sources familiar with Samsung's plans revealed that the second generation Gear smartwatch will ship with a new HTML5 version of their Tizen operating system, both of which will be unveiled at the Mobile World...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,190   +589

Since its Samsung the odds of success are higher but at this point there is an overblown mobile OS market. It would have to be really appealing for people to want in general and then comes the problem of application support.
    wastedkill likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

A Samsung spokeswoman declined to comment
    What use is a spokeswoman if she doesn't speak and a woman who is short of a comment, I'm yet to meet. :)
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

They already have an NX series camera running Tizen, so I guess they are now slowly starting to lessen their reliance on android, a reasonable strategic business decision. Things will get interesting when the launch their first higher end Tizen smartphone though.
  5. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 490   +123

I could see them pushing the new os now with google becoming a bit more strict on android customizations. it would definetly allow them to make more money, microsoft has proven with enough push anyone can enter into the mobile os platform. Samsung has even larger partners in the mobile world making there push even easier, especially since they aleady make popular phones.