TechSpot

update BIOS without diskette

By glen
Dec 16, 2005
  1. Hi,

I have a laptop with only CD. I downloaded updated BIOS file but the file requested a diskette in order to update BIOS.

what can i do to update BIOS without diskette?

2. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 430

If your computer can boot from an USB device and that you have some USB flash, format a bootable DOS partition on it and put the required files on it.

What else, you can burn a bootable DOS CD. You will just not be able to backup the older BIOS if you don't have a FAT32 HDD partition.

3. glen

glen TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi DragonMaster,

how can i do a bootable DOS CD?

HP gave me a downloaded BIOS upfile. The file will automatically prompt me a screen to indicate which diskette drive i should put. (selection only 'A' or 'B').
    Once it got the bootable DOS CD, how can i tranfer the necessary BIOS data to the bootable DOS CD?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You need to use a virtual floppy drive: http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html

Install the driver and enable the drive. Let the HP utility write its stuff and unmount your floppy. Ask your CD burning software to create a bootable CD and point it to the floppy image you got from the virtual drive.

5. DragonMaster

An other option,

If you have Nero, you can make the floppy in an other computer, start Nero, select bootable CD and select that you want to get the boot image from the floppy drive.

I have Nero Express and that's the only option I've got.

6. doomsweek

doomsweek TS Rookie Posts: 44

Some motherboards have utillities that can flash the BIOS on Windows.

7. DragonMaster

Also but it doesn't seem to be his case.

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

another reason why NOT to get rid of floppy drives......

9. DragonMaster

That's why I will spend 13$ more in my new PC. It still can be useful, even if I can boot with my ZIP or USB Flash.

10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

heck, I got a spare floppy around my house I'll sell ya for a couple of bucks plus shipping.

11. DragonMaster

Well I'm sure that just the shipping will cost more than getting it locally.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.