Update No Video, No POST, Different CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
My "latest" CPU arrived yesterday. An Athlon XP Barton core 2.1 GHz.
It has no bent pins and seated easily. This was a non-overclocked CPU.

With only the CPU added to the FIC KT-748 mobo, I still get no
Beeps when starting the system using a screwdriver to short
the power lead prongs. I had no IDE devices, sound, or video
cards installed at the time, only the cpu w/fan.

I also cleared the CMOS before starting. (This was the only
jumper I knew to move) Per the instructions, you should
boot to set up your BIOS.

All my fans run, CPU, PSU, Case (2).

The instructions were not step-by-step, I can only assume I did
everything correctly.

Seat mobo onto screws that came with my case. Seat CPU onto mobo, place thermal compound on CPU, Seat CPU fan.

This powers on, but I get no POST Beeps. I also got no video
when I tried to use a working card.

Per the eBay seller, this board was tested:

Quality Pre-Test Enviroment:
1.) AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 266FSB processor (CPU)
2.) 512MB DDR400 Memory
3.) 16X Pioneer DVD-ROM Drive
4.) Protech PC-Scope Diagnostics software

Per the CPU seller:

We guarantee this untested item to work out as expected or your money back. There may be minimal bent pins which can be straightened with credit cards, toothpicks, or dental picks. Remember to always be electro-staticly grounded when handling any electronic part. Your CPU will not have any chips on the core to the best of our ability.

I have a ground in strap on my wrist when handling these things.

I'm confused.......

Just to touch this base, did you move the CMOS jumper back to its original position after clearing?

mailpup said:
Just to touch this base, did you move the CMOS jumper back to its original position after clearing?
Yes, I did; thanks for checking....

I also feel the mobo is shorting out via the case. The standoffs that came with the case are metal; so I'll purchase some insulators Monday in case this was the issue.

Regards,

-s

To eliminate case shorts as a possibility, you can try removing the motherboard from the case altogether, placing it onto a clean, non-conducting, soft surface and see if will post. Connect the basic components: power supply, CPU/heatsink/fan, graphics and memory (one stick).

buying anything off of ebay is dubious - especially if used. I would return the CPU. It was probably overclocked and fried. If you ram is installed and the cpu was installed, it should at least attempt to post. Try plastic standoffs. If it still doesn't post, return it. The barton series by the way was a great series of cpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back