Update to previous RAM experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvis

A few days ago I was having a funny problem with some RAM. After playing around with the settings I have seen some mixed results. I think my best bet would be to just RMA it back over to newegg. Anyways, here goes:

Current specs:
ASRock 939 Dual SATA2
AMD 64 3700+
1GB (512x2) OCZ 2.5-4-4-8
GeForce 6800 AGP
40GB IDE 7200 drive
120GB SATA 2 drive

I just bought 2 more sticks of identical RAM. I had my system overclocked up to 215mhz to bring my settings to 2.36Ghz, with 430mhz RAM. I've been running like this for a while now without a single problem. Anyways, the new RAM runs fine on this setting. I can run Oblivion and every other program on my computer flawlessly for hours, with the exception of random Oblivion crashes because thats what happens heh..

However, with the new RAM installed, any time I try to print anything, my computer reboots. It doesn't matter if it is from Word, or a document from the internet. I reinstalled my printer drivers and it still crashes on me.

I ran memtest and it failed tests 8 and 9. I removed the 2 new sticks and everything worked fine. I switched the sticks to opposite sides on the mobo, but it still crashes. The new sticks by themselves in any dual channel slot crash the computer. BUT...it only crashes when I try to print something...

I cleared CMOS and used the default clock speeds, but the system still crashes with the new RAM in it.

Oh!, and heres the clincher! When I downclock the RAM setting to DDR 333mhz, and leave the 200mhz fsb, the system doesn't crash while printing... This strikes me as odd because the system only crashes when I try to print something.

So, what are my options after I RMA it... I'll get 2 new sticks, and if they still do the same thing what can I do? I've never experienced anything like this before. I may try reinstalling XP, or maybe formatting my HD, which I just did last week... I highly doubt it is a mobo problem because the old sticks work in both dual channel slots... Wow, this post dragged on longer than I wanted.. Feel free to add some input, but I am definitely RMAing this RAM.

i have the same problem !!!

but i have team group ram PC4000 running on 245mhz

crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyž

what is going on damn
before i did not have this problem it jut came out one weak agoo damn

congrats. You probably burned out your RAM from overclocking. If it failed memtest and you overclocked, more than likely you burned it out.

hi

i hope u r joking
i can play cod2 no problem, far cry the same, i can watch movies, i rar and unrar files, in can do everything only printing is not working, and the ram is out???

and if i print in explorer or firefox the comp. just shuts down, if i print in notepad it did error ocured. grrrr, if u ask me i think there is a problem with drivers, bios, program conflict

and i didnt do mem test

hmmm.... strange problem

but i realy dont agree with u that ram is burned, even cpuz is showing that is working dualchannel, doono

regards

cpuZ doesn't tell you didly squat if the RAM is good. It only tells you what type of ram you have.

any failures with memtest86+ should be taken seriously.

I found the solution to this problem i hope it will work for u too JARVIS.

Go to bios, and change ram setting from 1t or maybe u have auto to 2T.

The motherboard has somekind of bios bug. :(

for me no problems anymore, the only thing that i doono yet is how thoes this affect the performance

let our oc continue...hihihihi
300x9 opteron 144= 2700
ram 4/5 = 245 mhz

letz go up to 270 now on ram i mean

regards

Ok, after I get the new sticks in I'll just clear CMOS and run everything at default settings. If I have problems then, I'll screw with the timings like you mentioned...also ALFy, by the why you type on forums, you seem out of your mind haha. Thanks for the response

HI

doono if this is a compliment or not, but anyway i am happy that we solved the problem

just OC and dont worry about burning out something, u will think about that l8er

but what ram did u buy now, ocz not good enough??
as i know ur former ram was very good for OC

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back