Updated My Bios,now I Cant Boot Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew2777

i JUST GOT THIS BRAND NEW COMPUTER AND I MESSED IT ALL UP!

I have a P5N-E SLI asus motherboard....and everything was going great until i tried to update my bios....after i updated it told me to restart my pc,and i did,and now it wont boot windows...

I tried reseting the bios by taking out the battery and the jumpers....but i still get the same error when i try to boot up...ived tried updating the bios with the cd the board came with ,and it went back to the old drivers but same error,so i tried reseting the bios again,still same error

HERES THE ERROR:

BOOTING 'WINDOWS VISTA'
ACPI
VISTA LOADER 2.1.2
DONE!
FALLBACK 1
FIND --SET-ROOT /BOOTMGR
ERROR 17: FILE NOT FOUND

BOOTING 'WINDOWS NT/2000/XP'
FALLBACK 2
FIND --SET-ROOT /NTLDR
ERROR 17: FILE NOT FOUND
BOOTING 'ENTER COMMAND LINE'
BOOT FAILED

PRESS ANY KEY TO ENTER COMMAND LINE

When you power on, do you get any beeps? If you do, and looking at what you typed I suggest the best option would be to reinstall windows.

Upon reflection, i bet the boot order is messed up in the bios and just needs to be set correctly.

Maybe other things in the BIOS need attention. For example, although SATA controllers are usually enabled by default, maybe not this time. This assumes a SATA hard drive is installed, however. Anyway, just a thought.

everything was going great until i tried to update my bios
I can't help mentioning that it's a bad idea to update the BIOS unless you are trying to solve a problem. There are some risks involved with flashing the BIOS. It's not as safe as, say, updating graphics drivers.

Agreed - but then we have been there before and I suppose why we give help on the forum instead of ask for it.......don't you find that being so wise ia a heavy burden sometimes?

now i tried to install vista again....
but after the screen that says "vista is trying to start up for the first time"
my pc restarts but the monitor never turns back on cuz it dont detect that the pc is on or something....

so the installation never finishes.....

it wont finish...i just get black screen ...

i can still go to bios tho if i press delete at startup....but if i dont,i get a diagnostic screen that says windows was turned off unexpectedly or something....then i try to start windows normally and i get a black screen and my pc restarts and the monitor doesnt detect the pc again.

Did you install windows with the sata ports in IDE mode?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and see if you can get into Windows that way?

If you get in go to device manager, right click my computer, chose manage, select device manager. Then try to roll back the driver on the update. If that does not work, you could always boot the Xp disc and go to the recovery console.

Unfortunately I think you probably flashed the wrong BIOS for your board.

If you flashed your BIOS to the incorrect version there's no way to recover without a replacement BIOS chip or a reflash external to your board (Hot Flash or reprogramming using an EEEPROM burner).

Have a look at this BootBlock Recovery Page (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html) for resources on getting a new chip or hotflashing. The BootBlock Recovery methods I describe won't help because your board will not boot with the incorrect BIOS code flashed to the chip no matter what you do.

Regards Jase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back