Updates for Grisoft AVG free, won't download in Mozilla Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

I don't know why this is happening, but when I try to update the AVG free edition in Mozilla, it times out really quickly and won't download. I tried this maybe ten times, then went to Explorer and it downloaded the first time.
I've also noticed that some web pages are timing out very quickly--and that's ever since I downloaded the most recent Mozilla update about a week ago. Any thoughts?

Been running Firefox 1.0.6 for weeks now, no problems at all.
Grisoft has quite a heavy load, so is not always immediately available.
Try it in half an hour or so, by rightclicking the coloured/greyed square in the system tray, and click on Check for Updates.
Have you got AVG 7 and not 6 (no longer supported)?
You could always try and download the latest AVG again and install it over your existing one (except UNinstall AVG6 first if you still have that).

Yes, I've got AVG 7.0.344. Well that's after I downloaded the program in its entirety through Explorer. I'm not sure what version I had prior to that, but I had always been able to download the updates, until I updated Mozilla. I think there's some kind of setting connection problem there, but I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, it's up and running properly now, with the AVG icon in color instead of shades of gray, so it's fully updated. I'm just wondering if I'll have the same problem once again when Grisoft has a new update to offer. Thanks for your thoughts.

Shane

avg mozilla problems

My situation is different in that I am using firefox 1.0.6. I have found in the past that AVG takes up a lot of space which (in my personal opinion) is more than should really be needed. The download problem happened to me. After considering the download issue and the amount of space taken up by avg, I swithced to Avast4 antivirus. It is smoother, is extremely easy to update and causes no problems with firefox. Just passing this on a food for thought and not necessarily to cure to your particular problem.

I've had the Avast recommended to me before. Maybe I'll try that. Of course, that doesn't solve the problem as to why certain webpages are showing up as non-existent ever since I updated Mozilla (including at times yahoo and google!), but as an av program I'm going to check into it.

Thanks,

Shane

check firewall settings

Some firewalls (especially Norton Internet Security) fail to prompt you to allow new versions of software through. If you have NIS, there is a step-by-step tutorial on configuring it for a new version of Firefox at How to configure Norton Internet Security (NIS. If you are using another firewall, I would recommend deleting any program control entries it might have for Firefox. Then your firewall should automatically prompt you to let the new version of Firefox through next time you hit a page.

It's not the new version of Firefox that's not being allowed through--it's the updates for AVG. And only in Firefox is this happening. When I update through Explorer it works--so it has something to do with Firefox blocking the AVG updates.

Shane

I would run your Firefox setup through all steps in the standard diagnostic. This will tell you (among other things) whether you might have a bad extension, theme, or even a corrupt profile that might be interfering with the download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back