TechSpot

Updating BIOS on A8N-SLI for an Athlon 64 X2

By justinmypant
Aug 4, 2005
  1. So I'm building a computer and purchased an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard. I was intending to buy an Athlon 64 CPU but have recently been contemplating on getting an Dual Core CPU. I am aware that I will have to update my BIOS to do this, but will I even be able to boot up my computer to update the BIOS if the X2 is first chip to be used on the motherboard. I'm not even sure if I phrased that question right. But I hope you get what I'm trying to say. Thanks.

Edit:
    I was just looking around on the ASUS website and I think my Mobo already supports X2 CPUs. Never bothered to look at the stickers on the box it came in. Silly me.

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

well, if it doesn't, you can take the board into a local pc repair shop, and they'll have a bootable chip to install and apply the bios update. then you can take the board home and use it with your x2.

3. justinmypant

justinmypant TS Rookie Topic Starter

Really? I never knew that, how convenient. Good to know that I won't have to buy another CPU just to apply and update. Thanks a lot. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.