Updating BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSochalski

I recently put in a new motherboard, a new cpu, and new ram. the computer POST is fine but when it gets to the load windows screen, it just reboots. there is no error, just flashes to a blue screen, then restarts the computer and when it restarts it comes to the screen asking me to choose between restarting in last known good configuration, or in 3 different safe mode options. all of them just repete the process. i tried reinstalling the windows from the boot cd and it reinstalled it fine with no errors, but when it restarts the computer it still wont get passed the load screen. Someone sugested that maybe i have to update my BIOS becase of the new motherboard and new cpu. can someone please explain why that might be, what the symtems are of needing a BIOS update, and why it would help me? im just looking for some clarification before i run such a risky procedure. thank you, kevin

Did you reformat and reinstall? If not, that will probably solve your problem. Your hard drive will still contain all the drivers and setup info for your old mobo and won`t work with the new mobo.

Regards Howard :)

interesting

ok, how do i reformat my HD without getting into windows? i have nothing of importance on it and i dont mind cleaning it out.. all i did was install windows on it from the boot cd, i havnt done anything to erase the old drivers. please explain more.

You need to do the following.

Diconnect from the net and don`t reconnect, until you have your firewall software installed.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd drive.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Install your firewall software and reconnect to the net. Install whatever drivers you need, then run Windows updates.

Finally, install whatever programmes/software you want.

thank you

thank you howard, i will try this and let you know how it goes. if you think of anything else that could be the problem, dont hesitate to let me know, im really stuck here. thank you for you help, kevin

If the above instructions don`t work, then you have a serious problem of some kind.

Hopefully they will and that`ll be the end of it.

Let us know how you get on.

well its running the formating now, i definatly didnt do that before, i simply click on the partitian there and just wrote over it i think. i hope this has a different outcome. i will let you know when it is all over. thanks, kevin

well that didnt work. after it ran through the reformating, and the windows installing, it restarted itself, it went to the press any key to boot from cd option, i did nothing, and then it showed the windows loading screen like it had been, flashed a blue screen to fast to see and then restarted again, then it goes back to the same, sorry for the inconvenience but windows failed to load, could be a hardware or software change. what else can i try, besides doing a BIOS update? any ideas

I suspect you either have a ram problem or possible a hard drive problem.

Make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo.

Test your ram as per the instructions in this thread HERE.

Test your hard drive. See this thread HERE.

Try disconnecting anything not required to run your system.

Also, make sure everything is seated and connected properly.

Let us know the outcome please.

There is a decent chance this is a bit over my head. the ram is brand new,and the right kind for the mobo, so it shouldnt be that. the hard drive i have had for a while. but it was acting fine before the new mobo. so what are the chances they are the problem? does that have to be the next step, or is there something else i can try?

Like I said. try disconnecting anything not required to run your system.

Just leave the psu/cpu/mobo/1 stick of ram/video card/hard drive/cd.

See if you still have problems.

If you do, then the problem has to be with one of those components.

Then, it`s time to start testing.

I agree changing the mobo shouldn`t have buggered your hard drive, but stranger things have happened and it could just be a coincidence.

I stongly advise you to test the ram.

could the wrong kind of ram be giving me the problem i am having, would it get that far, all the way to the windows load screen if it wasnt the right kind. i am looking at the packaging, i have Kingston, KVR667D2k2/2GR it is 2 1 gig sticks. the mobo book says the follow are tested and qualified. of the kingston types they are, KVR533D2n4, KVR533D2n4/512, KVR533D2N4/1G, KVR667D2N5/512, and KVR667D2N5/1G. obviously the 533's dont matter, but of the 667's which i have, the one i have isnt on there. could that be a problem, or should any DDR2 work in theory? im going to go pull one at a time now and see if it changes anything to isolate if it is just one bad stick or slot, but if im using the wrong kind that that wouldnt matter at all.

I did say maybe you have a ram incompatibility issue and yes it could cause all manner of problems.

Try using just one stick of ram and then the other. I say again, test your ram as per the instructions.

ok i tried each stick indivually in each spot, same thing

when in the mem test area, which option do i use?

should i get a floppy and use that one? i dont have any but i can get one later or tomorrow, but then what do i do with it? do i just click the floppy option and then click save and save it to a floppy, or do i open it on this computer and then do something? i am entirely unfamiliar with this process, thank you for pacients.

Memtest86+ should run automatically. you shouldn`t need to do anything. It will run until you stop it. It`s advisable to let it run for at least seven full passes.

You could get a floppy drive, but in most cases this is unnecessary as the Memtest iso burned to cd is all you`ll need.

ok i think it running right. a blue screen came up and its running memtest tests. do i do this to each one, in each ram slot. or if it tests fine do i just run the other one in the other ram slot. if it tests fine than that ram and that slot should be good... will it run these tests if they are the wrong ram, or would it tell me right away? im 100% sure of what i am doing here.. i know your probably sick of helping me, but i appreciate it a whole lot. thank you. kevin

Yes, test each stick individually, if there are no errors, then test them together. I know it`s time consuming, but needs must.

Also, don`t forget to test your hard drive.

ok, while i am doing that. someone recomended that i might have to update my bios with a motherboard and cpu change. if the ram and the hard drive check out ok, is updating the bios a reasonable solution too? you could please explain a little more for my own clarity as to what updating it means, and how it could help?
thanks, kevin

If everything checks out ok, then a bios update may help, though I really doubt this is the cause of your issue.

Can you please give details of your mobo, cpu and ram?

each ram individually after 6 or 7 full passes checked out with no errors. i am running them both together right now and so far there are no errors.
i have an ECS elitegroup P4M900T-M mobo. Kingston KVR667D2K2/2GR ddr2 ram, and an intel pentium Dual-core Processor. if you need more information, like what i had in before, or more details on what i have now, please be a little more specific. thanks, kevin

the ram seems to be fine, individually and together. so next i will test the HD which is a Maxtor 6L200M0

If you dont mind, could you please click on the maxtor option for running an HD test and then tell me what links to follow. i have not done one of these and i dont know what selections to make. Thank you, kevin

nevermind, i might have figured it out, ill let you know

If the hard drive checks out ok, then by all means try the bios update. If that still doesn`t help, then do the following.

Remove everything from the case and build it on a table top, with the bare minimum of components. I.E cpu/mobo/psu/1stick of ram/video card/hard drive/cd This will do away with any possible shorts.

Let us know how it goes.

Ok, the HD passed the read test. so i guess my next step is updating the BIOS. i wont do that today, it is passed 7 pm here and there is a lightening storm coming in, so i wont even attempt it untill that passes. I am still unclear on what exactly updating the BIOS is though. could please elaborate a little bit on why this may fix my problem, and how loading windows could be related to a Bios problem, and a hardware change? and also some experience aided advice on how to do it. i have a list of instructions, is it just that easy? or should i know something more? thanks for your time, kevin

Flashing the bios(Basic Input/Output System), updates the bios to a newer version. The bios contain the info that makes you mobo work. If a bios flash is done incorrectly, it can render the mobo usless.

Your mobo manufacturers website will have information on how to flash your bios. It is important that you follow the instructions exactly.

There is also a PDF document that comes with the bios files, read it carefully.

Your bios is available from HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back