Updating the Bios Iflash

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

Please pardon my ignorance,
In the near future I will be upgrading my P4 CPU 1.5GHz to 2.6GHz. I have an Intel D846HV mother board. From what I have read, I will have to update the bios so the new (USED) cpu will work. I have to go from P04 to a P09
I have been to the Intel website and downloaded the necessary file IFlash (P15) and Express to separate floppy disks (I have 2 disk) and pour over the directions
At this point I will say I am not going to attemp this myself because I have read how screwing up can trash your mother board. The directions are as follows on the Intel website for floppy disk.
1.Save the Iflash BIOS update file to a temporary directory
2. Duoble click the *.exe to extract the necessary files
3. Double click RUN.BAT file to create a bootable floppy disk with the necessary files.
4. Boot the target PC with the floppy disk in the floppy drive to autonmatically BIOS update process

My question? I cannot find this *.exe to double click, where is it?
Second question: I cannot find the RUN.BAT to double click. I looked at what I downloaded to the floppy, and I do not see it. I do not get it. I looked in the temp files but it is not there. I looked at the example in the Intel website and it is supposed to be at C:Temp
Although I will not be doing this myself, I would at least be educated somewhat, is there anyone that can tell me what I am overlooking?
thanks
DBonniwell

I know you have two threads running, but please reply to this one only (its in the relevant section of the forum).

Have you downloaded the file to a location on your PC that you know? eg the Download folder or the Desktop etc.

If you haven't, lets just download it to your Desktop for now.
-click on the download link. It will open a "Save As..." dialog box.
-Navigate to your Desktop. Click Save.
-Once thats finished, open that file. (this is the "2. Double click on the *.exe to extract the necessary files" step)

If its a self extracting .zip it will have a dialog box with a folder path (which you can change) and a few buttons "Extract" "Close" "Help" or similar.

-If you have this, lets change the path to (copy and paste it into the box) C:\bios extract so we know where its going for now.
-Click the Extract button and let it do its magic.
-After that just open My Computer>C drive>bios extract folder and open it.
-Look for the Run.Bat file and put in the floppy disk in the drive. It will format it and load the files into it.

Then just put in the floppy disk before you power up your PC.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question.

I have it down loaded to a floppy disk,

It came as a zip file that had to be extracted 1 icon.

I finally got it extracted (able to see the files) and found them in a temp folder
I made a file and put what you see below in the file and transferred it to my desk top
As of now I have it on my desk top in a file for safty reasons called ‘Bios Ifash’
I also have the incon from the down load in this file also
Contents of the Bios Iflash file
The icon I got from the down load, (Zip file)
Beep
Auto.exec
Iflash
Bios.rec
P15-005.BI0
P15-005.BI1
P15-005.BI2
P15-005.BI3
P15-005.BI4
P15-005.BI5
P15-005.SIG

Just these 11 files within the zip file
I go back to my question, where is *.exe and RUN.BAT? Since I see the files, is *.exec already taken care of since they are extracted?
Do you think I should take what I have and delete it and start all over?
Await your or anyone elses reply
Again thanks

so i assume you downloaded the HV86AP15BI.EXE file? (the No.2 link)

That is your file listed in the instruction relating to the *.exe file. the * part is just a symbol to represent a wildcard or unknown name/character.

It is self extracting, but can be opened with winzip if you need it to. Just follow my instructions in my previous post in placing the "Unzip To Folder:" to point your desktop or the directory i've given you above, instead of what it gives you in the box like "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP" then click on "Unzip"

Then the files should be there for you to do the rest with.

Please use the edit button next time :)

Thanks for your reply
I had a suspicion that may be the case with *.exec. But had to make sure since I also read this proceedure can trash your mother board. Now which file on the list I have listed above is the replacement for RUN.BAT. Or just put all extracted icons on the blank floppy. and boot the target computer from that?
I have been doing some reading on this subject but when you do not see what they say to do, I end up consulting. Just confusing
thanks

I think the instructions are generic instructions. you're right, there is no run.bat on it. Just put them onto a blank floppy with nothing on it and boot the PC with it, since those files look like they're bootable anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back