TechSpot

Updating the hard drive controllers...

By PHATMAN5050
Mar 3, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have figured out why my brother's computer cannot run winxp pro. When i start it up i get a blue screen (in english) saying that teh hard drive controllers need to be updated and that i should also run chkdsk /f. Now, i know there's nothing wrong with the hard drive because it runs perfectly fine on my computer. Does updating the controllers mean i need to flash the bios or just install the software that came with the motherboard?
  2. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

update the chipset (ide controller) drivers for the motherboard
  3. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 645

ok, it is the Qlity P3bx-0. Hopefully there are some...
  4. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 645

nope, i can't find any updates online. If i wanted to use the cd, how would i do that if there isn't really an os on there? I tried booting from the cd, that didn't work, and then i tried booting with a windows startup disc and having the cdrom included in the dos, and i couldn't find like a setup.exe or anythign like that. How is this supposed to be done?
  5. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

What chip does your board have?

looks like a BX baord!

Q-lity Computer Inc.
    45630 Northport Loop East
    Fremont, CA 94538
    info@q-lity.com
    Phone: (510) 247-2381

Q-lity is owned by Quanta Computer (Taiwan)
    http://www.quantatw.com/webmap/ewebmap.htm
    Quanta Computer USA, Inc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.