Updating to newer technology and seriously lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have an amazing PC but i want to update. The only things im keeping are the ram (kingston hyper x ddrs 677 mhz (or somthing like that)) and the hard drives which are two western digital 10,000 rpm hard drives. I'm a gamer and i want the best no matter what it costs.

If you want to keep your Ram then you'll have to go with a Pentium 4/D/EE. The best one for gaming would seem to be the P4-EE 3.73. It has HyperThreading, loads of L2 cache & a very fast FSB. It costs a lot & I'm not sure about availability though. As for motherboard, it's down to preference as people will suggest Asus, other MSI, etc.

For VGA cards, the very best would be either a 7800GTX (SLI eventualy) or a Radeon 850XT-PE. You had better start bidding your kidneys on eBay for such hardware though...

If you could get a decent price for your DDR-II ram, I would think so. An Athlon64 in the 3800+/4000+ range is perfect for some intense gaming. If you want to go for the best then the Athlon64-FX 57 is what you need. But add your liver to your eBay bidding list as you'll need to sell that too to buy that chip.

The only thing you would lose by going with AMD is the comfort HyperThreading offers when running lots of heavy applications together, other then that gaming performance will be much better & the noise/heat factor will disappear. ;)

For gaming I would get an amd64, it performs well for me.
If you have the cash an fx chip would be great, but if you want to save some money you could get a lower model, like a venice 3200+ and try to oc it, although there're no guarantees on oc'ing.

Well you need a case, a good PSU (at least a good brand 400/500w) & a motherboard. Add the CPU, the VGA card, the Ram, the HDDs & eventualy a sound card. Oh yes, a CD-Rom/DVD/Burner might come in handy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back