"Updating Your System" on restart

N

Necrosjef

Every few times I restart my computer it says "updating your system" this process takes about 15 minutes. The computer then says "please wait while windows is configured, do not restart your computer". This process takes approximately a further 5 minutes.

This is a brand new MSI GT70 laptop.

I find this unacceptable and would like to disable it, however I do not see any threads on how to achieve this. I can't be the only one who is suffering through this nonsense.

Please help.

You can turn off automatic updates. This will stop your machine from installing updates automatically. However, I would advise against it as updates are important for a machines overall health and performance.

You can turn off automatic updates. This will stop your machine from installing updates automatically. However, I would advise against it as updates are important for a machines overall health and performance.

This was one of the first things I did is set the computer for manual updates only. This is unfortunately not the same issue.

It may be MSI software over-riding your Windows setting, look for all MSI programs and check their settings.

Well, If it isn't the same issue I'm not sure what it is. What you explain is a windows update taking place. If you never allow any of the updates to install you will not run into that prompt before login. Most windows updates do not install that way but, some of them will install at shutdown and startup.

I've checked my windows update history and it does not coincide with when the computer is doing this.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the task scheduler. I suspect this is what is causing the problem. Is there anyway to see windows tasks in the task library. I only have a few tasks in there at the moment...none of these are what is causing the issue.

Library > Microsoft > Windows.

Then go through the folders, Maintenance especially. I don't know where Windows Update is located (/system32/wuapp.exe).

Back