Upgrade an Old XP Box to Win8

Cycloid Torus

I think my hardware is inadequate to the task.

"Windows Setup" - "This platform is not supported." seems to be all I can get from Microsoft.

Probably the limitation is my AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU and not the motherboard (Asus M2A-VM) or the RAM (4GB).

Where can I learn which Socket AM2 CPUs will work? Is there a truly definitive source?

Thanks in advance for all your help (and comments and cute shots about shoddy old equipment).

More digging.
Coreinfo reports NX, PAE, SSE2 in place. Further it indicates PrefetchW, LAHF-SAHF and CMPXCHNG16B are all present.
Could not find any NX switch in BIOS, so consensus is NX is enabled.

Stumped.

If you've been comfortable with XP, you probably will not like Win 8, even if you can force the hardware to accept it. On the other hand, you might be looking for the Win 10 free upgrade, and if that is the case, much better to install Win 7 on your current PC. You will probably find that works very, very well. Getting hold of a copy, though - problematic.

Totally agree with gbhall. Win 7 has always been my favorite system ever. It is table and easy to use. UI is quite friendly. You can also free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7.
I will backup my old Win 7 with easeus free todo backup before upgrading to Win 10.
You'd better do the same thing, just in case.;)

I regularly use a Medion desktop which is nearly 11 years old and has XP SP3. I know that it won't accept Windows 7 without hardware changes and am quite happy running it as it is. I cloned the hard drive onto a much larger one a couple of years ago - before there were any problems showing - so hopefully it has plenty of life left. Enjoy your machine and XP for as long as you can. Just don't use it for anything like internet banking or shopping.

Back