Upgrade drivers

Do you usually upgrade drivers to video card upon installation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

soudlous

hey wassup guys, ahh this question. not sure if imma get flamed lol but what can i do , i'm tempted.

i got the ati radeon x800xl 256mb, i'm wondering should i upgrade to the drivers on the website or just used the drivers on the cd?

i want some opinions, facts wateva i can get. do you guys usually upgrade drivers once you get it, or use the drivers that came with it mostly or what? whats the norm? i wanna find out.

Thanx for just sharing your thoughts :)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you aren`t having any problems with the drivers you already have, then there`s no need to upgrade the drivers just for the sake of it.

Personally I usually use the drivers that come with the product, only upgrading if I have problems.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

For video cards I almost never use the CDs! This just being that ATI and Nvidia both update their drivers so often, you can bet the drivers on the CD are months and months old.

Plus, and maybe this is just me, but the CDs that come with ATI usualy automatically load the "capture driver" portion, which I have had monster problems with when the card itself doesn't HAVE capture to it. As in crashes and freezes. I will always go to ATI.com and get the latest, and ONLY the driver and control panel. NOT capture driver or catalyst control panel. Unless you have an All-in-Wonder. But that's just me and my experience.

cheers.

I agree with Vigilante, for GFX cards i always update from the NVIDIA site as they keep posting new updates very often, Just go ahead and update as some of these updates increase the performance significantly.

Half-Life 2

With Half-Life 2, one of the Steam updates recommend me to update the Catalyst driver for my Radeon 9800 Pro. WHen I did, I started having problems after the update.

So I rolled back to the old driver, and everything works fine.

I would read notes on the updated drivers and if I think they contain updates that are worth updating, I would. But if the updates are pointless and the current driver is working with no probs, then I wouldn't bother. Like the saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Thanx, i decided to go with the drivers only from the ati website, the cd has a lot of extra stuff i don't use. With video drivers, i have learned it's best to keep what you need, don't fix it if it isn't broken and have fun, and remember, use drive cleaner or something similar to take the drivers out, because man they are horrible at uninstalling by themselves.

Catalyst 5.6 here we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back